Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Marcus Bointon <ma...@synchromedia.co.uk> on 2011/06/17 12:36:27 UTC

Pruning commit logs manually

My commit logs sometimes eat too much disk space. I see that the oldest is about a day old, so it's clearly pruning already, but is there some way I can clear them out manually without breaking stuff, assuming that all the transactions they describe have been completed?

Marcus

Re: Pruning commit logs manually

Posted by Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com>.
> My commit logs sometimes eat too much disk space. I see that the oldest is about a day old, so it's clearly pruning already, but is there some way I can clear them out manually without breaking stuff, assuming that all the transactions they describe have been completed?

Don't manually remove commit logs.

Retention of commit logs should hopefully be because there are column
familities that don't flush because they don't reach their thresholds
in a long time. Decrease the expiry time for memtable flushing to make
them flush more often.

Flushing is relevant because only when a memtable is flushed can the
commit log which contains the data being flushed, be removed by
Cassandra.

--
/ Peter Schuller