Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mark Hamer <mh...@us.ibm.com> on 2012/01/26 22:32:05 UTC

[users@httpd] Question regarding OS support for Apache version 2.2.21....

Hello all

I want to know if  httpd version 2.2.21 is supported on older versions of
Linux?    Example Fedora 8 running on 32bit kernel.

 - Mark Hamer

Re: [users@httpd] Question regarding OS support for Apache version 2.2.21....

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 1/26/2012 4:12 PM, Mark Hamer wrote:

> That is what I was asking....if it will install and run without trouble.   I plan on
> uprading it.   Currently I have the following Apache version installed and running.

If you aren't installing an rpm (and you can try the current source
rpms for fun), but building from our 'generic' tarball, you will
probably want to uninstall first to avoid conflicts.  The paths and
locations are different for the generic package.  wiki.apache.org/httpd/
has some notes on different linux conventions.

Re: [users@httpd] Question regarding OS support for Apache version 2.2.21....

Posted by Mark Hamer <mh...@us.ibm.com>.
Thanks Mark

That is what I was asking....if it will install and run without trouble. I
plan on uprading it.   Currently I have the following Apache version
installed and running.

# httpd -v
Server version: Apache/2.2.8 (Unix)
Server built:   Jan 28 2008 06:24:44

# rpm -qa|grep http
httpd-manual-2.2.8-1.fc8
httpd-2.2.8-1.fc8
httpd-tools-2.2.8-1.fc8
system-config-httpd-1.4.4-1.fc8

# cat redhat-release
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf)

# uname -m
i686

From:   Mark Montague <ma...@catseye.org>
To:     users@httpd.apache.org, Mark Hamer/Boulder/Contr/IBM@IBMUS
Date:   01/26/2012 03:45 PM
Subject:        Re: [users@httpd] Question regarding OS support for Apache
version 2.2.21....

On January 26, 2012 16:32 , Mark Hamer <mh...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> I want to know if *httpd version 2.2.21* is supported on older
> versions of Linux?    Example Fedora 8 running on 32bit kernel.

What, specifically, do you mean by "is supported"?

If you mean, "will it compile and run without trouble, compared to other
versions of Apache HTTP Server?" then the answer is "yes, it should".

If you mean, "can I ask questions about it here?" then the answer is
"yes".

If you mean "is this version distributed by the Fedora Project for
Fedora 8, and will they update and maintain a package for it?" then the
answer is "no".  In fact, Fedora 8 itself is no longer supported by the
Fedora Project:  Fedora 8 reached its end of life on January 7th, 2009.
If you want to run a version of Fedora that is supported by the Fedora
Project then you should use Fedora 16.

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org