Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org> on 2013/01/30 11:56:21 UTC

STANBOL-888 and bundle-lists

Hello

I've jus run into problems because of trunk bundle-lists pointing to
snapshot versions no longer in trunk. With the moving of the bundle-lists
done in STANBOL-806 it is no longer clear when the bundle-list should be
updated. I think it would be handy for integrators that when the commons
bundles are released that the bundle-list ist relased as well so that it
becomes easy to use all the released bundles in an integrating launcher
(even if stanbol itself does not release such a lanucher). If no such
bundllelist is released (which makes the release of the bundles of less
value) the trunk version should at least be updated to use the new snapshot
version. I'll open an issue to change the versions changed within
STANBOL-888 in the bundlelists.

Cheers,
Reto

Re: STANBOL-888 and bundle-lists

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
2013/1/30 Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>:
> Ideally of course this would be handled by the release plugin or the
> launchpab plugin wouldhave the versions specified in the pom rather than in
> the separate xml.

If you know of any tool support for this, let me know.

The release plugin is not aware of the existence of the list.xml
files. We are missing something like OSGi release support with Maven.

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt

Re: STANBOL-888 and bundle-lists

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi

With revision 1441720 [1] I committed the upgrade to the
maven-launchpad-plugin 2.2.0. Also upgraded some additional
dependencies. Build on my machine was fine. Lets see if Jenkins is
also happy.

I have already started with a complete reorganization of the bundle
lists that should it make much easier to create customized Stanbol
Launchers. This new model uses maven dependencies between bundle lists
to ensure that each bundle list is self consistent.

The final goal is to provide users the possibility to build launchers
based on desired features e.g.

* "Core Stanbol Runtime" with the
* "OpenNLP NLP processing engines" the
* "Entityhub based EntityLinking Engine" and the
* "Enthityhub Solr based Storage" to store his Vocabularies using the SolrYard

and he will get an Stanbol Launcher that includes all modules required
to have exactly those features.

The current Stanbol Component based Launcher configurations will still
be supported by the definition of default bundlelists for components.
By using those lists user will still be able to create a launcher like

* "Core Stanbol Runtime"
* "Stanbol Enhancer"
* "Stanbol Entityhub"
* "Stanbol Contenthub"

and possibly adding cross cutting features such as

* "Security" and
* "zzShell"

As this new model requires the Apache Sling maven-launchpad-plugin to
support transitive dependencies defined between partialbundlelists I
created SLING-2722 [2] and provided a patch.

best
Rupert

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=1441720&view=rev
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-2722

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I have not yet committed those changes. However I think I can complete
those work today before noun.

best
Rupert

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
2013/2/1 Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>:
> We really should find a way to ensure that when an artifact is released no
> other project still depends on the old snapshot version.

Yes - this is really a pain.

I have tried many combinations of goal with the Maven versions plugin
but it seems to be a bit buggy. At least, I had the situation where
some artifacts were updated and some not. It seems that the plugin has
problems with several layers of parent POMs like we use it for the
different components.

I will open a new thread for this. This is really nagging me and I
would like to discuss how to start with a tooling that is helping us.

Best,
 - Fabian

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt

Re: STANBOL-888 and bundle-lists

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@wymiwyg.com>.
Hi

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

meanwhile with STANBOL-900-903 even more bundles got released and the
versions need to be updated.

I am currently working on this.

--
Fabian