Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by agharta <ag...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/24 17:17:24 UTC

Can i use Tomcat 7 catalina-ws.jar in Tomcat 8???

Hi all,

A rapid question: colud i place the tomcat 7 catalina-ws.jar inside a
new tomcat 8 installation ?

Is it compatibile?

I' ve not found any topic about it.

If this qestion was already made, give me the link and sorry for my bad
search.

Thanks a lot,

Agharta

Re: Can i use Tomcat 7 catalina-ws.jar in Tomcat 8???

Posted by agharta <ag...@gmail.com>.

> Agharta,
>
> On 6/25/15 10:30 AM, agharta wrote:

>> Why not just use the libraries that Tomcat already provides? Are
>> you using a Tomcat-specific API for something? If so, what is that
>> API you are using?
>>
>>> I'm not using any particular tomcat-specific api (except
>>> catalina-ws, needed by jax-ws web services). Simple,
>>> catalina-ws.jar is not provided with default tomcat installation,
>>> but should be placed manually.
>>> To do that, i should: 1) Detect tomcat version (7.x, 8.x) 2) Get
>>> the right catalina-ws.jar 3) Place (replace in case of upgrade)
>>> the catalina-ws.jar 4) Keep tomcat<->catalina-ws track version
>>> for future upgrades.
> Do you have an installer process of any kind, or are all upgrades done
> by hand? Detecting the version of Tomcat should be easy, and then you
> just have to make sure the various catalina-ws.jar files are
> available. Since you can always pull-down the distro from the ASF,
> they should always be available (unless you are on a server that does
> not allow outgoing HTTP connections to the outside world). You could
> also package all of the catalina-ws.jar versions necessary in your
> installer...

     No installer, all upgrades are by hand :(
     Some customers have a public internet access, others are in a
restricted lan :(((

>>> I have about 80 customers with about 20 different versions of
>>> tomcat (7.x & 8.x.....too much, i known.....) and i'm searching a
>>> quick update method. Something like stop > copy/replace jars and
>>> wars > cleanup >  start.
> If you are willing to package one version of catalina-ws.jar, you
> could package other versions as well.
>
> Are you managing the Tomcat installation for your customers? If so,
> why not upgrade them to a common version? If not, why not just tell
> your customer that a prerequisite of your product is that
> catalina-ws.jar is installed and up-to-date?

     I'm the maintainer, but the company upgrade policy is "upgrade only
if it necessary".
     So, the facts are:
     1) Some "old" customers, upgraded years ago with old tomcat version
and old war version...
     2) A bit of new customers with new tomcat version and wars
     3) A lot of "keep updated"  customers, with quite recent  tomcat
and fresh wars

     The "keep tomcat/webapps upgraded"  policy can not be applied because:
     1) Company policy (too much spent time to upgrade, customer is
already satisfied, etc....i known, it's not a good policy, but i'm in
italy....sorry ......)
     2) Customers are in the National Health System category, so they
have 24*7 uptime, cluster, etc, so a stop & restart should be done with
care/speed and should be scheduled

>>> I hope I have been clear, sorry if not.....
>>> An offtopic question: do you known why catalina-ws.jar is an
>>> optional lib??
> Because it's not a part of the main supported APIs: Servlet, JSP, EL,
> and Websocket.
>
> I'm not entirely sure if catalina-ws.jar contains anything
> Tomcat-version-specific. You could test your own web application
> against that kind of thing if you wanted to be sure. I'm sorry, but I
> don't know the answer.
>
> You could always use another JSR109 implementation -- one that wasn't
> sensitive to the Tomcat version. Or use something like Apache Axis2
> which, while not being JSR-109-compliant (I think), still supports web
> services. It's a bit old, though.
>
> There is also Apache CXF, which is under active development and
> probably supports all of the new-fangled things web-services types
> expect from a support library.

     Thanks so much for your suggestions,

     Best regards,

     Agharta

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by agharta <ag...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Can i use Tomcat 7 catalina-ws.jar in Tomcat 8???

Posted by agharta <ag...@gmail.com>.

Re: Can i use Tomcat 7 catalina-ws.jar in Tomcat 8???

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.