Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> on 2015/07/01 08:02:13 UTC

Re: Reporter.apache.org displaying incorrect data - who is responsible for the host?

I asked about it one week ago (with analysis of the VM state), but got no
answer.
Seems the only one to know is Daniel, and he doesn't check this ML or doesn't
have time.

I have access to the VM: it was given for projects-new.
Technically, I can change reporter too, but since we're starting from an
unexpected status (no svn checkout, files on the VM that are not part of svn),
I didn't want to change the VM content without asking before.

At the moment, I want to finish projects new switch: then I'll probably have
more time to help on reporter.

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 1 July 2015 at 21:59, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> On 07/01/2015 04:56 PM, sebb wrote:
>>
>> On 1 July 2015 at 11:21, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> My time devoted to comdev is unfortunately limited right now, but I will
>>> state a few things:
>>>
>>> - reporter.apache.org runs on the comdev VM (projects-vm).
>>> - Anyone in the comdev project/PMC can access this machine.
>>> - reporter.apache.org is still considered a 'pet project'. It is not an
>>> official Apache service, it is not maintained by infra, it's a personal
>>> thing I put together to help out projects. It was donated to comdev
>>> because
>>> infra - while supportive of the project - did not want to manage it. If
>>

>> However it has been recommended several times (by some board members,
>> IIRC) as a way of providing the basic information needed for a board
>> report.
>

> Well, yes, but that's always been accompanied by "it's not official, it's
> error-prone, it's only a starting place, blah blah"
>
> Daniel did this on his own time. It is not an infra-supported service. If
> it's useful, great. If it's not, you're welcome to try to fix it.
>

>> That's fair enough, but then the text needs to make clear what the
>> limitations are.
>>
>> At present AFAICT it relies on people.a.o, which is not the canonical
>> source for PMC membership or project membership.
>> Also if people.a.o fails to run for a day or so (which can and has
>> happened), the dates of LDAP group changes may be incorrect.
>

> At the risk of sounding like a jerk ...
>
> It's in https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/reporter.apache.org and
> patches are gleefully welcomed.

I know.

However only part of the code is in SVN at that location, and it has
as yet no documentation apart from a very basic start.

The service also depends on crontabs (I assume; I've not yet
investigated) and httpd.conf (which I have found in SVN) in order to
make sensible patches possible.

And unlike projects-new, someone needs to login to update the code
from SVN when patches are to be applied.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
My time devoted to comdev is unfortunately limited right now, but I will
state a few things:

- reporter.apache.org runs on the comdev VM (projects-vm).
- Anyone in the comdev project/PMC can access this machine.
- reporter.apache.org is still considered a 'pet project'. It is not an
official Apache service, it is not maintained by infra, it's a personal
thing I put together to help out projects. It was donated to comdev
because infra - while supportive of the project - did not want to manage
it. If anyone is interesting in moving it to a more official

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 10 July 2015 at 04:30, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 7:38 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> As I read through the previous emails in the thread, I'm pretty sure
>>> it was intentional.
>>> My opinion is that it would be far more readable to state it like this:
>>>
>>> ==============
>>> ## PMC/Committership changes (from LDAP):
>>
>> Perhaps, but PMC membership is not governed by LDAP committee group changes
>> It is not unknown for the LDAP group to be updated a long while before
>> (or after) the PMC membership changes (indicated by updating the
>> committee-info.txt file).
>> A person may be on the PMC but not in LDAP and vice versa.
>>
>> Therefore it is wrong for the site to equate the two.
>>

> The above is strictly true, however, being in LDAP results in being
> granted the karma for several things that a PMC member might need
> (mail-search karma for a project, access to the projects private svn
> tree, etc)
> I don't think that the reporter site is looking to be a canonical
> source of truth, so perhaps LDAP records are close enough.

Note that the Marvin bot unconditionally recommends using reporter.apache.org:

"Chairs may use the Apache Reporter Service [3] to help them compile and
submit a board report."

I think it's important chairs know what sources are used by reporter.

Note: if read access were granted to committee-info.txt as per
INFRA-9942, then reporter.a.o could accurately report PMC membership;
there would be no need to make assumptions about the LDAP committee
groups.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
I noticed that the new reporter output now contains "LDAP" in a way
that makes it sound like "LDAP" is the project name.   Is this
intentional?   It seems awkward and unnecessary to have "LDAP" in
there instead of "PMC", and when I read the first report containing
that verbiage, I thought there was was copy&paste error in the report.

=============

LDAP committee/Committership changes

Changes within the last 3 months:

→ Hazem Saleh was added to the LDAP committee on Fri May 15 2015
→ Latest LDAP committee addition: Fri May 15 2015 (Hazem Saleh)
→ Bill Lucy was added as a committer on Tue Jun 23 2015
→ Ross Clewley was added as a committer on Mon May 18 2015
→ Thomas Andraschko was added as a committer on Thu Jul 02 2015
→ Dennis Kieselhorst was added as a committer on Mon May 11 2015
→ Latest committer addition: Thu Jul 02 2015 (Thomas Andraschko)
→ Currently 76 committers and 39 LDAP committee members.

When I ran my report earlier, it said:

## PMC/Committership changes:

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.