Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2013/01/11 14:06:33 UTC

Re: [ALL] Remove some artefacts from Nexus?

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 11:42:56AM +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 11 January 2013 10:57, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> btw. I found something is missing in your release guide on the wiki
> >> (from the UsingNexus page):
> >
> > I'm not maintaining the page on the Wiki (I'll remove it). The
> > "authoritative" source is in the "doc/release" directory of the CM's trunk.
> >
> >> Nexus release
> >>
> >>   * remove commons-<component>-<version>-bin.* and
> >>     commons-<component>-<version>-src.* from nexus staging area
> >
> > Can someone confirm this? In the affirmative, why are these uploaded to the
> > server in the first place?
>
> Because that is where Maven deploys them.
>
> AFAIK Maven does not currently support independent deployment of the
> source and binary archives.
> They are either excluded from deployment, or they are uploaded to the
> repo with the Maven jars.

If the "bin" and "src" distributions have no use on the maven repositories,
I can understand that they should not end up there. But is that really the
case (I mean: Could someone want to use the a maven repository for
downloading a distribution archive)?
If not, then IMO we should exclude them from the artefacts uploaded to
Nexus.

> We then vote on the staging repo which contains both Maven and dist/
> release archives.
> On successful vote, the dist/ (bin/src) archives are copied to dist/.
> They are then deleted from Nexus so they don't end up duplicated in
> the main Maven repo, but AIUI that step can be omitted.

As Thomas noted, this (duplication) is what is usually done for Commons.
But what is the best thing to do? And, if possible, how to make that happen
automatically?

Gilles

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11 January 2013 13:06, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 11:42:56AM +0000, sebb wrote:
>> On 11 January 2013 10:57, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
>> > Hi.

>> > I'm not maintaining the page on the Wiki (I'll remove it). The
>> > "authoritative" source is in the "doc/release" directory of the CM's trunk.

>> > Can someone confirm this? In the affirmative, why are these uploaded to the
>> > server in the first place?
>>
>> Because that is where Maven deploys them.
>>
>> AFAIK Maven does not currently support independent deployment of the
>> source and binary archives.
>> They are either excluded from deployment, or they are uploaded to the
>> repo with the Maven jars.
>
> If the "bin" and "src" distributions have no use on the maven repositories,
> I can understand that they should not end up there. But is that really the
> case (I mean: Could someone want to use the a maven repository for
> downloading a distribution archive)?
> If not, then IMO we should exclude them from the artefacts uploaded to
> Nexus.

That may not be trivial to do in Maven.
I've not been able to work out what causes the bin/src archives to be
deployed (or not) by Maven.

When the process was set up, it was convenient to have both the
bin/src (dist/) archives and the jars in the same public directory.
This made it easier to vote on release candidates as everything was in
the same place.

Now that svnpubsub is to be used for dist/ archives, it may make more
sense to upload bin/src to

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/

and upload Maven jars to Nexus (as before).