Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2006/12/13 09:30:48 UTC

maven2 and NTLM

Hi all,

According to the docs, maven1 supported NTLM proxies. I cannot find
anything definitive to say whether NTLM proxies are supported in maven2
though.

In our case the ISA proxy also supports basic auth, but this also doesn't
work - I suspect the underlying proxy code implementation in maven wants
to use NTLM but hasn't been given the name of the domain by the maven
config, and so fails.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Regards,
Graham

Re: maven2 and NTLM

Posted by Mykel Alvis <my...@weirdness.com>.
I'll help test.  I'm unskilled in the proxy coding world, but I have access
to several proxy setups and can do VMs for more (probably).

On 12/20/06, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> Brett Porter wrote:
> >
> > On 19/12/2006, at 9:39 PM, Steve Loughran wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone interested in working on this?
> >
> > Thanks for volunteering! :)
> >

> I knew that would happen. But I suspect that nobody else would do it.
>
> How about,
>
> "who is interested in working with me to come up with something that is
> broadly useful"?
>
> One troublespot with proxy code is testing. I know I cant test NTLM
> proxies, but do at least have access to an unauthenticated proxy-whether
> I want to or not

I'm just an unfrozen caveman software developer.  I don't understand your
strange, "modern" ways.

Re: maven2 and NTLM

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Barrie Treloar wrote:
> On 12/20/06, Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:
>> On Wed, December 20, 2006 1:27 pm, Steve Loughran wrote:
>>
>> > "who is interested in working with me to come up with something that is
>> > broadly useful"?
>> >
>> > One troublespot with proxy code is testing. I know I cant test NTLM
>> > proxies, but do at least have access to an unauthenticated
>> proxy-whether
>> > I want to or not
>>
>> I can help - I have access to an authenticated NTLM proxy right now. I
>> may
>> have patchy access to the net next week for the holiday, but after 1 Jan
>> things return to semi normal.
>
> I also have an NTLM auth proxy here so can try stuff.
> I'm not sure whether I have any spare capacity to help code though.

thinking about it, I could probably simulate an auth proxy network with
vmware and various downloads from MSDN

  1. vm1:  win2K03R2 as the PDC with MS proxy and two network cards, one
bridged out and one private to the vm cluster
  2. vm2 : winXP client + java5
  3. vm3:  vista+java 6

machines #2 and #3 would only have access to the private lan; the server
would have both and be the relay through which I'd deploy the tests to
hosts 2 &3, collecting the results for analsysis.

Its doable, I just need to get more memory on my desktop and build up
the server image.

-steve

Re: maven2 and NTLM

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: maven2 and NTLM

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.

Re: maven2 and NTLM

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Re: maven2 and NTLM

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 19/12/2006, at 9:39 PM, Steve Loughran wrote:

> Anyone interested in working on this?

Thanks for volunteering! :)

- Brett

Re: maven2 and NTLM

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Brett Porter wrote:
> google says...
>
> http.auth.ntlm.domain
>
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/net/properties.html
>
> Could be worth exposing this via the settings into the lightweight
> wagon, and passing the equivalent to the httpclient wagon via it's
> authenticators.
>
> - Brett

FWIW, Ant1.7.0 final has rolled back support for the java1.5 automatic
proxy stuff. It didnt work and it broke odd things like Oracle's JDBC
driver.

We really need a commons-proxy-setup project that
  -correctly determines proxy settings on the main systems (windows,
mac, unix, gnome, kde)
  -maybe: interprets autoconf files if bsf+rhino or java6 is present
  -shares user overrides in a single consistent place (file or,
java.util.prefs)
  -lets classes listen for proxy change events
  -is smart enough to bypass the proxy if its hostname doesnt resolve,
or the port isnt open

Re: maven2 and NTLM

Posted by Mykel Alvis <my...@weirdness.com>.
Oops.  Let me clarify. I did NOT ask about the 1.5 ntlm properties.  I asked
about NTLM authentication. Sorry.

Re: maven2 and NTLM

Posted by Mykel Alvis <my...@weirdness.com>.

Re: maven2 and NTLM