Posted to general@attic.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/12 15:42:17 UTC

Write access to attic SVN website files

Access to the Attic SVN files (used to create the attic website) is
currently restricted to attic-pmc members.

This is a bit unusual; normally SVN access is granted to the TLP unix
group (which should include all the PMC members).

I think it would make sense to change the Attic SVN to allow access by
anyone in the attic unix group, which can then be expanded as
necessary to allow non-PMC members to update the website.

[The attic PMC group would still be required to provide access to any
private SVN areas under /pmc/]

This is not totally altruistic, as I'd like to request access to be
able to help maintain the Attic pages; I don't particularly need/want
to join the Attic PMC as well.
Changing the SVN site access LDAP group would make it easier to grant
access to all, not just me!

Note: at present the Attic Unix group contains everyone in the Attic
PMC group, with the addition of henning

Re: Write access to attic SVN website files

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 2:26 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 August 2012 07:49, Henri Yandell <he...@yandell.org> wrote:

>>> There are two disadvantages to this:
>>> - it forces potential editors to join the PMC; they then need to
>>
>> Pretty minor. They are effectively joining the PMC if they want to
>> engage in CTR anyway, especially in this 'project'.
>
> That's not true of other projects I'm on (Commons, JMeter, HC).
> CTR is allowed to project members; it's not reserved to PMC members.
> Where RTC is required it normally applies to PMC as well.

Yeah, lack of explanation on my part. In this particular project the
act of committing is acting on behalf of the PMC - there's a lot less
'normal' role. The main one is if a member of a retiring project
writes the project page, and that's been easy to put as content in
JIRA.

In a general project, anyone doing the R part of CTR is acting like a
PMC member (personal opinion, I don't expect it to be shared :) ).

>>> subscribe to private@attic
>>
>> Low volume list, and I don't see that it should be required :)
>
> Then one is not participating fully as a PMC member.

Yup, but there's no requirement on 'fully'. It's a fallacy to assume
that being subscribed to a list implies people participate, for a lot
of people on a PMC it means they send that email to a folder they've
not looked at for a year. Same for members@.

>>> - updating the PMC requires a vote and a board ACK
>>
>> Fair point on the 72h delay being a pain the first time.
>>
>>> An alternative might be to permit @members (or even @committers) to
>>> edit the Attic site.
>>
>> +1.
>
> Was that for @members?
> Or @committers?

Start with what we need and go with @members. Move to @committers if a
committer wants access.

>> I'd love to go further and declare all of @members to be on the PMC
>> (and not require subscription).
>
> Not sure why that would be a helpful.
> What is the point of being on a PMC unless one participates - which
> IMO requires following private@ ?

Being on a PMC means ones' opinion is binding. It doesn't mean you
have to participate. This would declare all members to have binding
votes.

> Also PMCs are a legal structure; not sure it would be possible to
> bypass the vote/board ACK.

It would fit. There's nothing in the bylaws about voting or ACKing. We
could either create a "Member's committee" as a new notion that would
fit under section 5.9, or could just be a PMC under the existing
rules.

---

As an aside, reading the PMC bylaws is interesting as they don't match
how we do things today:

a) It's strongly implied that only members may be on a PMC:
"consisting of at least one officer of the corporation, who shall be
designated chairman of such committee, and may include one or more
other members of the corporation".

b) This is a weird, but basically pointless statement: "each member of
a Project Management Committee shall serve on such committee for a
period of one year or until his or her successor is elected and
qualified or until his or her earlier resignation or removal". You can
see why Jakarta's early PMC acted more like a board.

c) It says that only the board may remove someone from a committee,
but doesn't really define who is responsible for adding to a
committee.

Apologies for the off topic aside, it felt interesting :)

Hen

Re: Write access to attic SVN website files

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Was that for @members?
Or @committers?

Posted by Henri Yandell <he...@yandell.org>.
On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 August 2012 18:16, Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Ambivalent :)
>>
>> I do strongly believe that attic should equal attic-pmc. ie) there's
>> no real issue with the current setup as you should be on the PMC (so
>> should Henning).
>
> There are two disadvantages to this:
> - it forces potential editors to join the PMC; they then need to

Pretty minor. They are effectively joining the PMC if they want to
engage in CTR anyway, especially in this 'project'.

> subscribe to private@attic

Low volume list, and I don't see that it should be required :)

> - updating the PMC requires a vote and a board ACK

Fair point on the 72h delay being a pain the first time.

> An alternative might be to permit @members (or even @committers) to
> edit the Attic site.

+1.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.