Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Klaus Hubert <kl...@yahoo.com> on 2005/07/13 01:43:49 UTC

SIMPLE Lucene / MySQL Indexer

Hi,

I played with several search engines to replace MySQL
FULLTEXT index and hope that Lucene is the best
solution for that.

I am reading Mannings book on Lucene in action and it
seems to be the most powerful search engine I found so
far.

I'm stuck at some problem and need help from you
experts. I managed to create an index as described in
the examples. I also managed to read a MySQL database
in Java.

My question is, if anybody here has some SIMPLE
example which does this in one step. I am good in PHP
and in Visual Basic, but very new to Java. Maybe I'm
using the wrong tools (NetBeans IDE and JCreator) but
I don't get it managed to create an Lucene Index on 3
database fields.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you so much,

  Klaus

Re: SIMPLE Lucene / MySQL Indexer

Posted by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com>.
Please allow me to intraduce DBSight.
It's based on Lucene, oriented for Any database search.

Most of the things are done by web UI. No coding is needed to create
your search.
check out this demo.  http://search.dbsight.com

It's free to download and test. Free for developer edition, non-profit
usage.

Chris Lu
---
Full-Text Search on Any Database
http://www.dbsight.net

Klaus Hubert wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I played with several search engines to replace MySQL
>FULLTEXT index and hope that Lucene is the best
>solution for that.
>
>I am reading Mannings book on Lucene in action and it
>seems to be the most powerful search engine I found so
>far.
>
>I'm stuck at some problem and need help from you
>experts. I managed to create an index as described in
>the examples. I also managed to read a MySQL database
>in Java.
>
>My question is, if anybody here has some SIMPLE
>example which does this in one step. I am good in PHP
>and in Visual Basic, but very new to Java. Maybe I'm
>using the wrong tools (NetBeans IDE and JCreator) but
>I don't get it managed to create an Lucene Index on 3
>database fields.
>
>I appreciate any help.
>
>Thank you so much,
>
>  Klaus

Chris Lu

Re: SIMPLE Lucene / MySQL Indexer

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.
Something like this?

IndexWriter iw = whatever
ResultSet rs = whatever

while (rs.next()) {
   Document ldoc = new Document();
   ldoc.add(Field.Text("f1", rs.getString("f1"));
   ldoc.add(Field.Unstored("f2", rs.getString("f2"));
   ldoc.add(Field.Keyword("f3", rs.getString("f3"));
   iw.addDocument(ldoc);
}

rs.close();
iw.close();

On the IDE front, most people seem to use Eclipse nowadays.

--
Ian.

Posted by Nader Henein <ns...@bayt.net>.
Also Hibernate, you can use Eclipse as an IDE, with the Hibernator
plugin to create objects cleanly from your MySQL database and then a few
lines will fetch an object which you could then be passed to Lucene for
indexing.

Nader Henein

Klaus Hubert wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I played with several search engines to replace MySQL
>FULLTEXT index and hope that Lucene is the best
>solution for that.
>
>I am reading Mannings book on Lucene in action and it
>seems to be the most powerful search engine I found so
>far.
>
>I'm stuck at some problem and need help from you
>experts. I managed to create an index as described in
>the examples. I also managed to read a MySQL database
>in Java.
>
>My question is, if anybody here has some SIMPLE
>example which does this in one step. I am good in PHP
>and in Visual Basic, but very new to Java. Maybe I'm
>using the wrong tools (NetBeans IDE and JCreator) but
>I don't get it managed to create an Lucene Index on 3
>database fields.
>
>I appreciate any help.
>
>Thank you so much,
>
>  Klaus