Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by James Stauffer <js...@spscommerce.com> on 2004/05/14 15:31:17 UTC

logging_event_property column sizes

In logging_event_property both mapped_key and mapped_value are 254
characters.
I don't think I have any keys longer than about 10 characters but I do have
values more than 254 characters.
What would you think of decreasing mapped_key to something like 32 (this
isn't important to me but 254 seems like a waste of space) and increasing
mapped_value to 510 or 1022 (assuming that 254 was chosen as 2 less than a
power of 2)?

James Stauffer

Re: logging_event_property column sizes

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.

At 03:31 PM 5/14/2004, James Stauffer wrote:

>In logging_event_property both mapped_key and mapped_value are 254
>characters.
>I don't think I have any keys longer than about 10 characters but I do
>have values more than 254 characters.
>What would you think of decreasing mapped_key to something like 32 (this
>isn't important to me but 254 seems like a waste of space) and increasing
>mapped_value to 510 or 1022 (assuming that 254 was chosen as 2 less than a
>power of 2)?

The current mapped_value size of 254 may be indeed too small and we should
revise that number. 254 was chosen because it was supported by MySQL (4.0,
4.1), PostgresQL and Oracle. Having no access to the documentation for
PostgreSQL I can't give a more precise answer. The question merits a
methodological inquiry.

--
Ceki Gülcü