Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Nikolaus Rath <Ni...@rath.org> on 2008/06/27 15:55:50 UTC

Monitoring efficiency of local rules

Hello,

My spamassassin configuration has accumulated quite a number of local
rules. Managing these rules has recently become difficult though,
because there is no real way to tell which rules regularly match and
which rules were only useful for a couple of days to detect a specific
spam wave.

Hence I was thinking of creating a spamassassin module that keeps
track of the number of times every rule matched. It would run in
check_end() and manage a berkeley db (to handle simultaneous accesses
by multiple processes) that contains for each rule the number of times
that it hits since the last db reset.

Once in a while I could then remove rules that didn't match any mails.

Before I start working on this, I wanted to ask whether someone else
already implemented this or something similar, or if maybe there is a
complete different way to monitor and manage local rules.

Best,

   -Nikolaus

--
 Nikolaus@rath.org | College Ring 6, 28759 Bremen, Germany
 Class of 2008 - Physics | Jacobs University Bremen

 »My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.«