Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Thomas Ledbetter <tl...@revelstone.net> on 2007/12/20 20:17:07 UTC

Upgrade to 3.2.3 introduced severe slowness

Hi. I recently tried upgrading our anti-spam servers to run v 3.2.3.
Previously we were using 3.1.7. When I tried to do this, performance took a
bit hit - messages take more than double the time to scan in 3.2.3 as
compared to 3.1.7.  As an example, one particular test spam message takes an
average of 2 seconds with 3.1.7, but 5.4 seconds with 3.2.3. Turning off
network tests helps, but there is still a slight  (~20%) increase in scan
time even without network tests between the 2 versions.  I tried the 'use
bytes' hack with Message.pm and I verified that 'use bytes' is the default
on most of the plugins. I tried disabling just some of the network tests by
setting their scores to '0', and that didnt seem to affect scan time at
all?!?  Can someone shed any light as to what might be the problem here? I
want to retain the network tests that we were using in 3.1.7.  Is there a
way to revert to the exact same network tests from 3.1.7 while using 3.2.3.?

Re: Upgrade to 3.2.3 introduced severe slowness

Posted by jp <jp...@saucer.midcoast.com>.
Add re2c to your system, and enable the rules compiling. That should
make up for the performance difference.

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 11:17:07AM -0800, Thomas Ledbetter wrote:

> Hi. I recently tried upgrading our anti-spam servers to run v 3.2.3.
> Previously we were using 3.1.7. When I tried to do this, performance took a
> bit hit - messages take more than double the time to scan in 3.2.3 as
> compared to 3.1.7.  As an example, one particular test spam message takes an
> average of 2 seconds with 3.1.7, but 5.4 seconds with 3.2.3. Turning off
> network tests helps, but there is still a slight  (~20%) increase in scan
> time even without network tests between the 2 versions.  I tried the 'use
> bytes' hack with Message.pm and I verified that 'use bytes' is the default
> on most of the plugins. I tried disabling just some of the network tests by
> setting their scores to '0', and that didnt seem to affect scan time at
> all?!?  Can someone shed any light as to what might be the problem here? I
> want to retain the network tests that we were using in 3.1.7.  Is there a
> way to revert to the exact same network tests from 3.1.7 while using 3.2.3.?

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/

Re: Upgrade to 3.2.3 introduced severe slowness

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Thomas Ledbetter wrote:
> Hi. I recently tried upgrading our anti-spam servers to run v 3.2.3.
> Previously we were using 3.1.7. When I tried to do this, performance took a
> bit hit - messages take more than double the time to scan in 3.2.3 as
> compared to 3.1.7.  As an example, one particular test spam message takes an
> average of 2 seconds with 3.1.7, but 5.4 seconds with 3.2.3. Turning off
> network tests helps, but there is still a slight  (~20%) increase in scan
> time even without network tests between the 2 versions.  I tried the 'use
> bytes' hack with Message.pm and I verified that 'use bytes' is the default
> on most of the plugins. I tried disabling just some of the network tests by
> setting their scores to '0', and that didnt seem to affect scan time at
> all?!?  Can someone shed any light as to what might be the problem here? I
> want to retain the network tests that we were using in 3.1.7.  Is there a
> way to revert to the exact same network tests from 3.1.7 while using 3.2.3.?

While probably not the "exact same network tests", the two versions
don't have a large difference in which network tests they do.

The difference you are seeing is that 3.2.3 fixes an issue with network
tests timing out prematurely, thus 3.2.3 is more accurate.  If you look,
you'll notice that 3.2.3 is taking longer to scan an individual message
but is not spending more processor time to do it.

For most people, simply increasing the number of spamd children will
restore your previous throughput rates.  Of course, in very, very large
installations that may not be an option due to already being memory
bound.  Most installations are CPU bound way before they are memory
bound though.

Daryl

RE: Upgrade to 3.2.3 introduced severe slowness

Posted by Thomas Ledbetter <tl...@revelstone.net>.
 Wow..  I think this might have done it!  :)

 After experimenting with this tonight, and specifically watching what
happens when run with a '-D', I can see new configuration files being
put under /var/lib/spamassassin.

 And after a subsequent reload, it *did* seem to address the delay issue
I saw before.

 Do the new rules placed under /var/lib/spamassassin override the
default ones under /usr/share/spamassassin then?

Posted by "Martin.Hepworth" <ma...@solidstatelogic.com>.
Thomas

Check you've done an sa-update after you installed 3.2.3.

There's a nasty bug with completewhois lookups in the default 3.2.3. Running sa-update turns off those rules. If you want those rules working then install the patch found in bug id 5589. But easiest 'fix' is run sa-update ;-)

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator
Solid State Logic
> Hi. I recently tried upgrading our anti-spam servers to run v 3.2.3.
> Previously we were using 3.1.7. When I tried to do this, performance took
> bit hit - messages take more than double the time to scan in 3.2.3 as
> compared to 3.1.7.  As an example, one particular test spam message takes
> an
> average of 2 seconds with 3.1.7, but 5.4 seconds with 3.2.3. Turning off
> network tests helps, but there is still a slight  (~20%) increase in scan
> time even without network tests between the 2 versions.  I tried the 'use
> bytes' hack with Message.pm and I verified that 'use bytes' is the default
> on most of the plugins. I tried disabling just some of the network tests
> by
> setting their scores to '0', and that didnt seem to affect scan time at
> all?!?  Can someone shed any light as to what might be the problem here? I
> want to retain the network tests that we were using in 3.1.7.  Is there a
> way to revert to the exact same network tests from 3.1.7 while using
> 3.2.3.?

Red Lion 49 Ltd T/A Solid State Logic
(Company No:5362730)
United Kingdom