Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/06 21:40:14 UTC

[VFS] BC breaks in VFS 2.1 RC1

I'm creating a new thread here instead of hijacking the VOTE thread.

First, let me express my gratitude to Stian Soiland-Reyes for RM'ing a
release, I'm sure he did not know what he was getting himself into! ;-)

Part of me writing this here is flushing out for myself, voters, and casual
observers what it is we are doing ;-)

We have BC breakage in VFS 2.1 RC1 in two areas:

- Adding methods to public interfaces
- Other stuff like removing fields, changing fields from protected to
private, changing method arg types.

Details:
https://home.apache.org/~elserj/commons/commons-vfs-2.1/commons-vfs2/clirr-report.html

I see three areas that need consideration:

(0) For simple clients that only use the higher-level interfaces and
methods, there are no problems. So this is a non-issue marker I suppose.

(1) For advanced clients that get their fingers in deep into VFS, they
break. Example:

- org.apache.commons.vfs2.provider.tar.TarFileObject: Accessibility of
field entry has been weakened from protected to private.
- org.apache.commons.vfs2.provider.webdav.WebdavFileProvider: Removed field
AUTHENTICATOR_TYPES
- and so on.

Remedies for these kinds of breaks are simple and easy: Just change stuff
back and mark @deprecated in Javadoc and @Deprecated.

(2) For providers, they break unless they extend our root classes like
AbstractFileObject and DefaultFileSystemManager, and use our default
classes like DefaultFileContent.
For "simple" providers, there probably won't be any issue, but who knows?
Does anyone have a 2.0 provider?
For advanced providers that do more of their own thing instead of reusing
our base classes, then breakage.

It seems to me that we should pick the low-hanging fruits and fix the
simple stuff.

All of this is moot if we were to go to 3.0 now.

Thoughts?

Gary
<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VFS] BC breaks in VFS 2.1 RC1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 3:00 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 May 2016 at 22:40, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm creating a new thread here instead of hijacking the VOTE thread.
> >
> > First, let me express my gratitude to Stian Soiland-Reyes for RM'ing a
> > release, I'm sure he did not know what he was getting himself into! ;-)
>
> Huh? ... that was/is Josh Elser.
> Who does (also) deserve many thanks.

Applogies Josh, I'm mixing me threads!

Gary

Re: [VFS] BC breaks in VFS 2.1 RC1

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
sebb wrote:

> On 6 May 2016 at 22:40, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm creating a new thread here instead of hijacking the VOTE thread.
>>
>> First, let me express my gratitude to Stian Soiland-Reyes for RM'ing a
>> release, I'm sure he did not know what he was getting himself into! ;-)
>
> Huh? ... that was/is Josh Elser.
> Who does (also) deserve many thanks.

[snip]

> However, given the work that Josh has already put into 2.1 that seems
> a waste of effort if we can either:
> - eliminate the BC breaks, OR
> - satisfy ourselves that the breaks will not affect (m)any users.

In the case of vfs I can live with the latter.

- J�rg

Re: [VFS] BC breaks in VFS 2.1 RC1

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
(catching up)

Thanks for writing this note, Sebb. It completely aligns with my
opinion. In the docs from Oracle which you earlier linked, method
additions *do not* break binary compatibility. I'm a little confused why
this is being brought up for at least a second time now (could have been
third).

Re: [VFS] BC breaks in VFS 2.1 RC1

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Oh, you did? I thought I did an update before I sent my last email and
didn't see any changes from you. Perhaps I just missed it then :)

Re: [VFS] BC breaks in VFS 2.1 RC1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I am sorry for not being clearer. I've already updated trunk with 'as good
as it gets for now' code. These are the low-hanging fruit changes I wrote
about plus updates to the latest Commons Net and IO IIRC (on my phone now).

I would like a new RC to pick up these changes, see my other email(s).

Gary
On May 8, 2016 11:50 AM, "Josh Elser" <el...@apache.org> wrote:

> Gary -- how quickly can you turn around a patch to fix this? Without a
> patch, I am still in favor of 2.1 being released as is. 2.1.1 can be
> released with these fixes at your earliest convenience.
>
> Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> Just for completeness, I'm advocating we do this now, but new methods to
>> interfaces could be added as subinterfaces as in FileContent2 extends
>> FileContent.
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 2:52 AM, sebb<se...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> I have just looked again at the Clirr errors.
>>>
>>> Apart from the interface method additions, the changes are:
>>>
>>> *) Replacing org.apache.commons.vfs2.provider.tar.TarEntry by
>>> org.apache.commons.compress.archivers.tar.TarArchiveEntry in several
>>> places.
>>>
>>> TarEntry has been dropped, however the class was package-private so it
>>> was clearly not part of the public API.
>>> And likewise, methods using cannot have been part of the API.
>>>
>>> *) replacing org.apache.commons.vfs2.provider.tar.TarInputStream by
>>> org.apache.commons.compress.archivers.tar.TarArchiveInputStream as the
>>> return type for a couple of methods
>>>
>>> Again, TarInputStream has been dropped, and it was also
>>> package-private. So again the public API must be OK.
>>>
>>> So I think we are OK as far as BC is concerned.
>>>
>>> Source will need to be updated if it uses any of the interfaces that
>>> have been updated:
>>> FileContent
>>> FileName
>>> FileObject
>>> FileSystemManager

Re: [VFS] BC breaks in VFS 2.1 RC1

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Re: [VFS] BC breaks in VFS 2.1 RC1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VFS] BC breaks in VFS 2.1 RC1

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VFS] BC breaks in VFS 2.1 RC1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VFS] BC breaks in VFS 2.1 RC1

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: [VFS] BC breaks in VFS 2.1 RC1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 8:40 PM, Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought there were talks about using Java 1.7 APIs in 3.0 that would
> eliminate the need for some classes in commons-vfs, or am I confusing that
> with another commons project?

You are correct, but this is a big job worthy of a major release, whether
it's 3.0 or 4.0 is a different story. I am talking about the possibility of
calling what we have now as 2.1 RC1 to be 3.0. The Java 7 FS would then be
4.0 unless it could be binary compatible in 3.x.

This discussion is really how likely we are to create jar hell with 2.1.
I'm just worried that there are 2.0 providers out there that will be broken
as soon as 2.1 is inserted into a stack. The jar hell happens if a 2.1 call
site uses 2.1 methods and a 2.0 provider is also in the software stack,
then we have jar hell. How likely is that?

Gary

Re: [VFS] BC breaks in VFS 2.1 RC1

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VFS] BC breaks in VFS 2.1 RC1