Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Patrick McFadin <pm...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/25 00:23:00 UTC

Cassandra Contributor Meeting to focus on outstanding 4.0 issues

Hi everyone,

First, I want to acknowledge some of the raw conversations today in the
cassandra-dev slack channel. It was probably well overdue and if not for
2020 and what a wonderful year this has been, we might have gotten there
earlier. I really appreciate how everyone who participated kept the
conversation from completely devolving into something that wouldn't get us
anywhere as a project. I also want to say that I hope we don't forget to
pause and give each other a break. People are already tense and on edge
from months of pandemics, politics, social unrest, disasters, child care
issues and a lot of other things on a long list. I find it helpful to
assume that everyone I talk to is stressed out, behind schedule and
probably has a boss pressuring them to do something. We share a really
unique common bond by willfully choosing to work on distributed systems. I
hope we find more reasons to come together than be apart in the future.

If I can even attempt to sum up the important themes from a very long
conversation. There is a tension between the frozen codebase leading to 4.0
and the desire to add new features beyond 4.0.  One way to eliminate that
tension is to get 4.0 wrapped up. What is left to get 4.0 done isn't clear
to many and there is a desire to get clear on the remaining items.

I would like to contribute some of my energy and time to help this along.
Standing on the shoulders of giants here, a LOT of work has already gone
into this topic. Josh, Jordan and Jon (J^3 ?) kept a steady strain on
updating jiras and status. This Kanban is really helpful:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=355&quickFilter=1661

There is an epic that was discussed in slack:

There are 17 separate jiras as dependencies, of which only 2 are marked as
completed. 3 have no assigned owner. I have put a Zoom call on the
contributor meeting calendar to discuss those three first. I had to weave
it between ApacheCon sessions but hopefully this will help in velocity. Agenda
posted, feel free to alter as you see fit. September 29, 1230PM PST:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/2020-09-29+Apache+Cassandra+Contributor+Meeting+-+4.0+push+edition

I mentioned this is Slack. We are so close. Beta 2 is out there, Harry just
dropped and Jiras have been closing. I get excited when I think of the
impact this will have. My entire life has now somehow become dependent on
Cassandra working. When I take a pic with my iPhone. Play games on my
PlayStation. Use curb-side pickup at Target. Order food on GrubHub.
Everybody here helped make that happen and there are a lot of great
engineers that will be deploying 4.0 and loving it. Most importantly, I
reliably get food when I'm playing Ghost of Tsushima and take a selfie for
my finsta. #priorities I would love to stick it to 2020 and make "Shipping
4.0" a positive event as we leave this stinking year behind.

Patrick

Re: Cassandra Contributor Meeting to focus on outstanding 4.0 issues

Posted by Patrick McFadin <pm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex,

This is an attempt to manage the tyranny of timezones with a worldwide
community. That time is what gives New Zealand and Australia at least a
chance to attend that isn't the middle of the night. The alternative would
be to have two meetings for different timezones.

Patrick

Posted by Oleksandr Petrov <ol...@gmail.com>.

--
alex p

Re: Cassandra Contributor Meeting to focus on outstanding 4.0 issues

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.
addendum: I understand the original way CASSANDRA-15536 was proposed is not
the way I'm describing, but it could be easily adaptable to that so we can
have a single place to track all tasks related to 4.0 quality and address
some of the visibility points raised by Mick.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
I personally prefer to track fail/flaky tests as sub-issue of the 4.0 epic
> (CASSANDRA-15536) so we can track 4.0 completion status in a single place.
>
> The way I see it is:
> * CASSANDRA-15536 epic: track everything that needs to be done to wrap-up
> 4.0 per macro component.

Isn't this hi-jacking the meaning (and value) of the "4.0-beta" and
"4.0-rc" fixVersion placeholders?

My understanding is that nothing should be set to fixVersion "4.0-beta" if
it is not a blocker to 4.0-rc. And likewise nothing is set to "4.0-rc"
unless it is a blocker to 4.0-GA. i.e. these were not wishlist placeholders.

Of course folk are still free to "scratch their itch" and review and merge
the non-blocker bugs from "4.x", so long as all release lifecycle concerns
are met.

Kinda agree with Josh here on what the epics should focus on. Personally,
because that better isolates and highlights what's missing from continuous
and automated QA post-4.0, looping back to my first question and concern.

Re: Cassandra Contributor Meeting to focus on outstanding 4.0 issues

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.
> Isn't this hi-jacking the meaning (and value) of the "4.0-beta" and
"4.0-rc" fixVersion placeholders?

Makes sense, I hadn't thought of this. I retract my suggestion.

> Kinda agree with Josh here on what the epics should focus on. Personally,
because that better isolates and highlights what's missing from continuous
and automated QA post-4.0, looping back to my first question and concern.

+1

> I thought you were suggesting we do test failures as sub-tasks on a
ticket in 15536 which could work. But having them children of 15536 is just
going to make that noisy enough as to be not useful.

I was actually advocating for the former but I agree we should restrict the
scope of CASSANDRA-15536 single epic.to new improvements as you suggested
and Mick concurred.

>  I'd recommend we rely on JQL for the release scope and kanban board it
for visibility based on fixversion to have our "single pane of glass" for
4.0 progress.

+1

With that said, I think it could be beneficial for visibility to track
flaky/test failures blocking 4.0 on a single epic with fixversion 4.0-rc.

Posted by Joshua McKenzie <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Tunnicliffe <sa...@beobal.com>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the detailed context Patrick! I see a lot of value on
videoconferences for presentations and brainstorms but I tend to prefer
mailing list as a medium for consensus-seeking discussions for the
following reasons:
- Asynchronous - gives folk time to think and digest (as mentioned by Ben
on the Kubernetes thread);
- Timezones - allows people from all timezones to participate;
- Inclusivity - accommodates more people in the discussion.

Regarding the proposed agenda of going through the unassigned issues to
improve visibility on what needs to be done to ship 4.0 GA I think this is
a great start but only covers part of the problem.

I think we have 3 outstanding issues that are hampering visibility of 4.0
progress:
a) Quality testing issues with no shepherd;
b) Quality testing issues with shepherd, but no recent activity (~2 months
or less);
c) Quality testing issues with no objective acceptance criteria/Definition
of Done;

In order to facilitate the discussion I classified on this spreadsheet [1]
the quality epic (CASSANDRA-15536) subtickets into two categories: ON TRACK
/ NEEDS ATTENTION. An issue "Needs Attention" if it has one of the 3
problems mentioned above and is "On Track" otherwise.

## ON TRACK:

CASSANDRA-15583 4.0 quality testing: Tooling, Bundled and First Party
CASSANDRA-15584 4.0 quality testing: Tooling - External Ecosystem
CASSANDRA-15977 4.0 quality testing: Read Repair

## NEEDS ATTENTION:

CASSANDRA-14746 Ensure Netty Internode Messaging Refactor is Solid
CASSANDRA-15537 4.0 quality testing: Local Read/Write Path: Upgrade and
Diff Test
CASSANDRA-15538 4.0 quality testing: Local Read/Write Path: Other Areas
CASSANDRA-15579 "4.0 quality testing: Distributed Read/Write Path:
Coordination,
Replication, and Read Repair"
CASSANDRA-15580 4.0 quality testing: Repair
CASSANDRA-15581 4.0 quality testing: Compaction
CASSANDRA-15582 4.0 quality testing: metrics
CASSANDRA-15585 4.0 quality testing: Test Frameworks, Tooling, Infra /
Automation
CASSANDRA-15586 4.0 quality testing: Cluster Setup and Maintenance
CASSANDRA-15587 4.0 quality testing: Platforms and Runtimes
CASSANDRA-15588 4.0 quality testing: Cluster Upgrade
CASSANDRA-15921 4.0 quality testing: Materialized View

So in order to address these I think we should:
a) Seek volunteers to shepherd unassigned items;
b) Update status of inactive tickets;
c) Define objective acceptance criteria for each quality issue;

I believe we should do A) by actively seeking via mailing list volunteers
for each unassigned quality issue, while B) and C) should be coordinated
independently by the shepherd of each issue.

In my view this should improve accountability and transparency into 4.0 GA
progress. I would love to hear the community's thoughts on this.

[1]:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E70HIo63KXP4ggLUCRYfuLLh_oJZNLuyuPdkiT6dMVE

Posted by Patrick McFadin <pm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Paulo,