Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Raphael Bauduin <rb...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/26 15:22:00 UTC

[users@httpd] graceful restart occasionally gives "could not bind" error

Hi,

With an apache 2.2 running on FreeBSD, I occasionally get a problem
with a graceful restart.
Issuing the command apachectl graceful results in these messages in
the error log:

[Wed May 26 14:45:48 2010] [notice] Graceful restart requested, doing restart
[Wed May 26 14:45:53 2010] [warn] module dav_module is already loaded, skipping
[Wed May 26 14:45:53 2010] [crit] (22)Invalid argument: make_sock: for
address [::]:443, apr_socket_opt_set: (IPV6_V6ONLY)
(48)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443

or this

[Wed May 26 15:02:52 2010] [notice] Graceful restart requested, doing restart
[Wed May 26 15:02:57 2010] [warn] module dav_module is already loaded, skipping
(48)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:443

This error is not systematic, but it makes the command unreliable and
unusable in a cron task.

Any hint as to what causes this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Raph

--
Web database: http://www.myowndb.com
Free Software Developers Meeting: http://www.fosdem.org

Re: [users@httpd] graceful restart occasionally gives "could not bind" error

Posted by Raphael Bauduin <rb...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Raphael Bauduin <rb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> With an apache 2.2 running on FreeBSD
>
> which level of Apache? (2.2.9 had a change in this area of processing)
> which level of FreeBSD?

Here are the versions used:

FreeBSD 6.4-RELEASE-p3
Apache/2.2.13

I had also tested by disabling ipv6, but I still had the problem occuring.

Raph

Posted by "[triplepack] info (info@pack3.ch)" <in...@pack3.ch>.
Hi,

from my point of view such a thing is very common either if you have a
heavily loaded web server in combination with certain modules e.g.
fastcgi or so.

i was looking once already for kind of a "start delay" of apache restart
and apache graceful but could not find anything to say that such a delay
is probably as well more fixing the phenomena and not the real issue

but what i did then is a restart with basicaly stopping apache either
graceful or just with a stop then checking for 443 and 80 listening
processes in a loop for a certain time and as soon all the listen ports
are gone i start up the apache again

this can be obvously extended by killing everything related to your
apache instance after e.g. 5min if required and if you want to have
something for analysing the problem you even can do a coredump of that
particular processes before you kill them or what ever you might want to
check during that time.

i think the main issue is that there are still child processes hanging
around for some time even they got sent a kill signal (what happens with
stop and graceful-stop (in the case of graceful only after a certain
delay if configured with |GracefulShutdownTimeout
<./mod/mpm_common.html#gracefulshutdowntimeout>|))

Aaron

Posted by Raphael Bauduin <rb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Gifford <sg...@suspectclass.com>.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raphael Bauduin <rb...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 5:36 AM, Igor Cicimov <ic...@gmail.com> wrote:

I can confirm the problem is not caused by the webdav module. I have
disabled it (it wasn't used) and just got the same problem. Here's the
log:

[Thu May 27 15:30:30 2010] [notice] Graceful restart requested, doing restart
[Thu May 27 15:30:35 2010] [crit] (22)Invalid argument: make_sock: for
address [::]:443, apr_socket_opt_set: (IPV6_V6ONLY)
(48)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443
Unable to open logs

Any suggestion welcome!

Thx

Raph