Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Seth Wiesman <sj...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/29 15:51:04 UTC

[Discuss] FLIP-43: Savepoint Connector

Hey Everyone!

Gordon and I have been discussing adding a savepoint connector to flink for reading, writing, and modifying savepoints.

This is useful for:
* Analyzing state for interesting patterns
* Troubleshooting or auditing jobs by checking for discrepancies in state
* Bootstrapping state for new applications
* Modifying savepoints to make breaking scheme changes or correct invalid state

We are looking forwards to your feedback!

This is the FLIP:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-43%3A+Savepoint+Connector

Seth

Re: [Discuss] FLIP-43: Savepoint Connector

Posted by Piotr Nowojski <pi...@ververica.com>.
> I think it’s best to keep this initial implementation focused and add those changes if there is adoption and interest in the community.

I agree. I didn’t mean to hold the implementation/acceptance of this until someone solve the SQL story :)

Piotrek

Posted by Seth Wiesman <sj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Seth Wiesman <sj...@gmail.com>.
@Piotr

I definitely would like to see this have sql integrations at some point. The reason for holding off is that to do so would require savepoint format, it is not currently possible to discover states and schemas without state descriptors in a robust way.

Posted by "Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai" <tz...@apache.org>.
@Piotr

Posted by Piotr Nowojski <pi...@ververica.com>.