Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Tintin <19...@googlemail.com> on 2013/11/02 12:08:56 UTC

Smoothing FXG Artwork

Hello

I have created some artwork in Adobe Illustrator, saved that as a .fxg file
and brought this into a Flash Builder project I am developing. Everything
has imported just fine, but is there any way to smooth the artwork. I can't
see any antialiasing/smoothing properties. It looks quite good but is a
little 'crisp' in places.

Thanks

Re: Smoothing FXG Artwork

Posted by Tintin <19...@googlemail.com>.
Hello Jude

Thank you for the very informative and comprehensive answer, I really
appreciate the effort.

A previous version of this project used .png artwork and looked good but due
to the nature of this project my images were 30,000 pixels high 1,280 pixels
wide. I had to slice them into 4 pieces and stack them in Flex to use them
and the load time was painful. Each image also was a composite of 3 layers
on top of each other, so 12 large .png files per image!

This version of the project will be all vector as we have established a way
of getting our CAD vector artwork out at a better quality and into
Illustrator. Now I am working on how to improve the look in Flex.

I didn't know about StageQuality, a brilliant tip.

Thanks

Chris

Re: Smoothing FXG Artwork

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
The quality of the vector graphics are determined by the stage
quality<http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/display/StageQuality.html>.
For BitmapData in Flash Player 11.3 on you can use drawWithQuality and set
it to 16x16 pixel grid. Unfortunately, I don't think you can get higher
than 4x4 pixel grid for the Flash Player stage. I've seen the difference in
the output of the draw vs drawWithQuality command and it's amazing. It
would be great if they added higher quality settings to the Flash Player
output.

In the meantime you can try to get a similar result using a BitmapImage. It
accepts .fxg file or FXG definition as a source. Then you could enable
smoothing on that. I'm not sure if it will be high quality though since it
doesn't use drawWithQuality() but rather the draw() method in the original
code as of SDK 4.6. It may have been added later if it hasn't it would be a
good feature request.

For FXG, there are some other things you can do to improve the quality like
using a second rounded rectangle behind the first if the border is 1px.
More info here<http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/mobile-skinning-part1.html>.

I think someone made an AS3 class that rasterizes the vector graphics at
higher res at runtime and then resizes that down to the size you need. I
think it uses Stage3D or Starling.

Re: Smoothing FXG Artwork

Posted by Scott Matheson <sm...@intralinks.com>.
I also use fxg, however I take the extra step on cutting out the graphic,convert them add to a skin

This may give you more control, as you will have the power to add groups boarders etc round your work

I can convert an example for you of that will help

Sent from my iPhone

> On 2 Nov 2013, at 14:36, "Tintin" <19...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello
>
> I have created some artwork in Adobe Illustrator, saved that as a .fxg file
> and brought this into a Flash Builder project I am developing. Everything
> has imported just fine, but is there any way to smooth the artwork. I can't
> see any antialiasing/smoothing properties. It looks quite good but is a
> little 'crisp' in places.
>
> Thanks

Disclaimer: This electronic mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this email, and destroy all copies of this email and any attachments. Thank you.