Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Marhn Fullmer <mh...@ncsu.edu> on 2013/11/07 18:58:18 UTC

Is there provenance data in VCL accessible to help deal with upcoming Windows XP or other code/images that need deprecated?

Hi,

For those who generally need help in getting images created
or in support thererof, is there provenance data in VCL accessible
to help deal with upcoming Windows XP or other code/images
that need deprecated? Oftimes a graduate student creates an image
under the VCL image  ownership model and then leaves it behind
with no apparent  & clear  relationship to any given faculty memeber
or other staff member.

It seems frameworks could be created to more gracefully deal with
life-cycle issues if this infomation is available rather than
firedrill-driven
audits & scrambles to replace functionality when something is deprecated,
In particular, Windows XP end of life (EOL) by Microsoft without paying
extra
support costs will be in effect 08 April 2014 which is fast approaching.

Extra layers of firewalls & VPNs, etc. likely can protect some access but
unless federated access control like that which might be possble by
Eduroam,
etc. are instituted & supported, the userbase may radically have to be
shrunk
in some cases. Assocated access control costs for labor will probably also
rise.

sincerely,
Marhn Fullmer
Manager, COE Networking Lacoratories
NCSU Computer Science Dept

Re: Is there provenance data in VCL accessible to help deal with upcoming Windows XP or other code/images that need deprecated?

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Hello Marhn,

No there is not a image lookup tool that would provide such
information via the web interface. This could be a useful tool.

There is provenance data that exists in different tables and would be
fairly easy to source.

We do run scripts to purge such images to an archive location to free
up storage. i.e. we images not used in an X time frame.

Aaron

--
Aaron Peeler
Program Manager