Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Eric Wittle <er...@wittle.net> on 2006/02/06 03:18:13 UTC

Jetspeed 2 with Maven plugin & mysql

I've been working on replacing Jetspeed 1.5 with Jetspeed 2.0 on my
site. I took a look through the binary multi-db install, and it
looked OK. So I decided to try a customized portal build with the
maven plugin. I believe some of the issues I've hit are known (and
have answers on the list), but some I'm not sure have yet.

First, I had problems with the war:install failing due to being
unable to download jars (derby, portals-bridgets, etc.). As
documented elsewhere, adding the following to my build.properties
fixed this problem:

portals.bridges.version=1.0
derby.version=10.1.1.0
bridges.groupId=org.apache.portals.bridges
jetspeed.version=2.0

After getting the war file built, I have been trying to get the
portal running. Since I'm not using hssql, I did not use the
j2:quickStart target. Instead, I tried:

maven j2:db.create.production
maven j2:db.entities
maven j2:nodbfullDeploy

This seemed to work, but I could not log in, and saw exceptions in
catalina.out complaining about no role 'user' defined. I then tried:

maven j2:db.recreate

but had the same problem. A little poking around found the script
populate-userinfo-for-default-psml.sql. I ran this script manually,
and now I can log in (sort of).

Now, after I enter a username and password and click login, I get an
"Error 403 - Access to requested resource has been denied" for the
following URL: http://localhost:8080/wittle.net/login/redirector. If
I remove login/redirector from the URL and refresh, I'm at the main
portal page and authenticated.

I am also having a problem that whenever I click on the Public
Folders link, I get an exception page that shows:

org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.PipelineException:
org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.PipelineException:
org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.PipelineException:
java.lang.NullPointerException
	org.apache.jetspeed.security.impl.PasswordCredentialValveImpl.invoke
(PasswordCredentialValveImpl.java:153)
	org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.JetspeedPipeline.invokeNext
(JetspeedPipeline.java:203)
	org.apache.jetspeed.localization.impl.LocalizationValveImpl.invoke
(LocalizationValveImpl.java:168)
	org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.JetspeedPipeline.invokeNext
(JetspeedPipeline.java:203)
	org.apache.jetspeed.security.impl.AbstractSecurityValve$1.run
(AbstractSecurityValve.java:117)
	java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	javax.security.auth.Subject.doAsPrivileged(Subject.java:454)
	org.apache.jetspeed.security.impl.AbstractSecurityValve.invoke
(AbstractSecurityValve.java:111)
	org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.JetspeedPipeline.invokeNext
(JetspeedPipeline.java:203)
	org.apache.jetspeed.container.url.impl.PortalURLValveImpl.invoke
(PortalURLValveImpl.java:55)
	org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.JetspeedPipeline.invokeNext
(JetspeedPipeline.java:203)
	org.apache.jetspeed.capabilities.impl.CapabilityValveImpl.invoke
(CapabilityValveImpl.java:128)
	org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.JetspeedPipeline.invokeNext
(JetspeedPipeline.java:203)
	org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.JetspeedPipeline.invoke
(JetspeedPipeline.java:185)
	org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedEngine.service
(JetspeedEngine.java:231)
	org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedServlet.doGet
(JetspeedServlet.java:226)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:689)

I saw a note on the list that a 2.0.1 release was in the works to
resolve various problems; are any of the ones I'm seeing included?

-Eric

Re: Jetspeed 2 with Maven plugin & mysql

Posted by Eric Wittle <er...@wittle.net>.
Thanks! I'm glad to hear it is not just me...

-Eric

Posted by Aaron Evans <aa...@yahoo.ca>.

Posted by Aaron Evans <aa...@yahoo.ca>.
Eric Wittle <ericw <at> wittle.net> writes:

> Aaron,
>
> Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, the Tomcat archive (http://
> archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-5/archive/) has 5.5.11, and
> 5.5.13, but no 5.5.12. I am betting this is a long shot anyway, but
> thanks for replying.
>
> I've been trying to run jetspeed 2 on my Mac PowerBook; next I'll try
> it on my linux machine to see if that makes any difference.
>
> I believe from what I read of the login process that both of the
> pages I supposedly don't have access to are actually Tomcat pages
> rather than Jetspeed pages (login/redirector and j_security_check).
>
> -Eric

Eric,

Ok, so now I am in your boat.

I just did a build on fedora core 3 repeating my exact same procedure as
before.  There are only two differences:
1. My last build was on FC 2.
2. My last build used an older version of tomcat, this time I used 5.5.15.

And guess what, admin account logs in no probs, but all my other accounts
don't.

I am using my custom LDAP authenticator, so mysql is definitely NOT the
problem.

I found the same thing as you.  If I grant the admin role to one of my users,
then the login works fine.  Otherwise, no dice.

It is in fact (as you say) the login/redirector for which the 403 is returned
as evidenced by my apache access logs.

I have a tomcat 5.5.9 kicking around (I think I said when i was running 5.5.12
I was incorrect with no problems, I was wrong).

Posted by Eric Wittle <er...@wittle.net>.
Aaron,

Posted by Aaron Evans <aa...@yahoo.ca>.

Posted by Eric Wittle <er...@wittle.net>.
Latest experiments to try to isolate why portal users with the user
or manager role cannot log in successfully:

On the same machine, the version of Jetspeed2 I have from the multi-
db installer logs in fine with the manager account. If I modify the
jetspeed.xml file to point to the database I created using the Maven
plugin, it still works fine. If I modify the customized portal I
created with the Maven plugin to point to the database created by the
multidb installer, the manager account still has the same
authentication problems. This seems to eliminate the contents of the
database as the source of the problem.

The possible differences I can think of are:

1) Tomcat version (deploying the customized portal to 5.5.15, multidb
installer uses 5.5.12)
2) Jetspeed version - deployed jars for the version installed by the
multidb installer are different from those created using the Maven
plugin, as are some pages and velocity macros
3) Any jetspeed-specific configurations to Tomcat done with the multi-
db installer

What I've done to investigate is:

1) Nothing yet; I suppose I'll have to find a clean copy of 5.5.12
for this one

2) I've copied the shared/lib jar files from the multidb install to
Tomcat 5.5.15, as well as the contents of <customportal>/WEB-INF/lib.
Neither helped.

3) I can't find any of these; diffs of the contents of the conf
directory, the bin directory, and the conf/Catalina/localhost
directory don't show anything that looks useful.

Posted by Eric Wittle <er...@wittle.net>.

Posted by Eric Wittle <er...@wittle.net>.