Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Chris Lambertus <cm...@apache.org> on 2019/03/10 17:31:43 UTC

workflow surrounding podling LDAP creation

Hi folks,

There are two non-automated processes related to podling creation right now on the Infra side. One is creating DNS. The other is creating the LDAP entries for the podling. The LDAP creation is simply a matter of pushing a button in Whimsy. Is there a way the latter could be better automated? I’m not sure we’re going to get to a point where we can automate the DNS without oversight (due to the substantial cost of an error/outage) but it seems like we could very easily automate the podling LDAP group creation.

I’m not sure who has whimsy karma necessary to press the Whimsy button. Perhaps someone involved in the podling onboarding process outside of Infra could already do this? Maybe we could make it pressable by Mentors?

Thoughts?

-Chris

Re: workflow surrounding podling LDAP creation

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Thanks Chris,

It would be great to have a whimsy page that allows an IPMC member to properly automate the creation of a podling.

Other incubator podling startup steps that could be improved beyond LDAP would be:
- Add the podling to podlings.xml
- Create the podling status file and yml file.
- Anything else?

A second whimsy form could be used to help maintain the three file formats - podlings.xml, status xml and status yml.
Should this be the podling roster page?

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.