Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Phil Ellett <sy...@technimode.com> on 2004/10/14 19:49:56 UTC

Spamassassin Proxy - Help need.

I have been using Spamassassin for years via Sendmail / Procmail / Spamd for
scanning incoming mail directly into mailboxes without problems.

I now however for one client wish to receive email via Sendmail, scan it
with spamassassin and then forward it via smtp to another server.

Does anyone have an idea on how I can modify my procmail settings for this
user in order to implement this.

Clearly I need to pass the message to Spamassassin to be scanned and then
receive the output back into the procmail script and then forward it with a
simple "!new@mail.address.com" line ...

Redhat 9.0
Spamassassin 3.0.0

Thanks in advance.

Phil.

Re: Spamassassin Proxy - Help need.

Posted by Mike Brodbelt <m....@acu.ac.uk>.
Phil Ellett wrote:
> I have been using Spamassassin for years via Sendmail / Procmail / Spamd for
> scanning incoming mail directly into mailboxes without problems.
>
> I now however for one client wish to receive email via Sendmail, scan it
> with spamassassin and then forward it via smtp to another server.
>
> Does anyone have an idea on how I can modify my procmail settings for this
> user in order to implement this.

Why are you using procmail for this? Just have sendmail pass the message
out to spamd via a milter, then send it on via SMTP. There are several
suitable milter modules, or you could use mimedefang. Personally, I use
the one from http://www.runestig.com/osp.html, but there's also one
available at http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/spamass-milt/.

HTH,

Mike.

Re: Spamassassin Proxy - Help need.

Posted by Ryan Moore <ry...@perigee.net>.
Phil Ellett wrote:
> I have been using Spamassassin for years via Sendmail / Procmail / Spamd for
> scanning incoming mail directly into mailboxes without problems.
>
> I now however for one client wish to receive email via Sendmail, scan it
> with spamassassin and then forward it via smtp to another server.
>
> Does anyone have an idea on how I can modify my procmail settings for this
> user in order to implement this.
>
> Clearly I need to pass the message to Spamassassin to be scanned and then
> receive the output back into the procmail script and then forward it with a
> simple "!new@mail.address.com" line ...

Another route would be to use a milter to scan the mail and then forward
the message via aliases/virtualusertable/procmail.

Ryan Moore
Perigee.net Corporation
704-849-8355 (sales)
704-849-8017 (tech)