Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Thota, Niranjan" <NT...@atmi.com> on 2013/01/31 15:19:06 UTC

Tomcat 64-bit for Solaris 64-bit OS

Hi

I was looking for " tomcat 64-bit for my Solaris 64-bit OS "and I couldn't find one. Only the one I see is for windows but nothing for any UNIX based OS.
So wondering if there is any a 64-bit tomcat for Solaris is available for download.

 Thanks!

Niranjan Thota
Programmer Analyst
Analytics

6 Commerce Dr | Danbury, CT 06810 | Telephone: 203-207-9355 | Mobile: 225-362-4793| nthota@atmi.com | www.atmi.com

*********************************
This email message may contain information that is confidential and/or privileged and is intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify sender immediately and destroy the original message. Thank you.

RE: Tomcat 64-bit for Solaris 64-bit OS

Posted by Jeff Sturm <je...@eprize.com>.

That's what I'm saying, it's common for both to have the same JAVA_HOME and use -d64/-d32 to override the default.  This page seems to say that's how the Solaris JVM works too:  http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/solaris/java.html

Moreover I've used those options on a Linux JVM.  Of course you can install as many different JVMs as you want with a different JAVA_HOME, but it isn't necessary to do that to select 32 bit or 64 bit modes of execution.

-Jeff

Re: Tomcat 64-bit for Solaris 64-bit OS

Posted by Niranjan <nt...@atmi.com>.

Posted by Jeff Sturm <je...@eprize.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Niranjan [mailto:nthota@atmi.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 64-bit for Solaris 64-bit OS

> As I have both 32/64 bit Java enabled, when I set the JAVA_HOME, which
> Java bit version does tomcat uses by default?

It will use whichever one JAVA_HOME points to; both JVMs can't be in the same place (unless the Solaris installation is very, very strange).

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat 64-bit for Solaris 64-bit OS

Posted by Niranjan <nt...@atmi.com>.
Caldarale, Charles R <Chuck.Caldarale <at> unisys.com> writes:

> > From: Niranjan [mailto:nthota <at> atmi.com]
> > Subject: Re: Tomcat 64-bit for Solaris 64-bit OS
>
> > If I understand correctly, I just extract the zip file and start
> > the server. If this is the case, how can I point my tomcat to the
> > 64-bit java which I just installed?
>
> Set either the JAVA_HOME or JRE_HOME variable before running the startup.sh
script.  You can place such
> environment variables in a setenv.sh script in Tomcat's bin directory and
the startup script will
> automatically include it.
>
> Read the RUNNING.txt file for more information.
>
>  - Chuck

MATERIAL and is thus for use
> only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please
contact the sender and delete the
> e-mail and its attachments from all computers.

Thanks for your quick reply Chuck! As I have both 32/64 bit Java enabled, when

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Niranjan wrote:
> Mark Thomas <markt <at> apache.org> writes:
>
>> On 31/01/2013 14:19, Thota, Niranjan wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I was looking for " tomcat 64-bit for my Solaris 64-bit OS "and I couldn't
> find one. Only the one I see is for
>> windows but nothing for any UNIX based OS.
>>> So wondering if there is any a 64-bit tomcat for Solaris is available for
> download.
>> You want the standard tar.gz download. It works for both 32 and 64 bit.
>>
>> Mark
>>

> If I understand correctly, I just extract the zip file and start the server.
> If this is the case, how can I point my tomcat to the 64-bit java which I just
> installed?

read the RUNNING.txt in the top directory ?

Re: Tomcat 64-bit for Solaris 64-bit OS

Posted by Niranjan <nt...@atmi.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2013/1/31 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
> On 31/01/2013 14:19, Thota, Niranjan wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I was looking for " tomcat 64-bit for my Solaris 64-bit OS "and I couldn't find one. Only the one I see is for windows but nothing for any UNIX based OS.
>> So wondering if there is any a 64-bit tomcat for Solaris is available for download.
>
> You want the standard tar.gz download.

Or the zip one.

(tar.gz requires GNU tar to properly unpack it,  IIRC).

> It works for both 32 and 64 bit.

+1, as there are no native binaries in it. Java code runs regardless of CPU.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Tomcat 64-bit for Solaris 64-bit OS

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.