Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2007/05/09 07:45:45 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate OpenJPA to a Top Level Project

Dear Incubator,

The OpenJPA podling respectfully requests the Incubator to consider
its graduation to a Top Level Project. Please vote on recommending
the attached draft board resolution.

The vote will end in 72 hours, 2300 hours PDT Friday 11-May-2007.

[ ] +1 Recommend to the board to establish Apache OpenJPA
[ ] -1 Do not recommend establishing Apache OpenJPA because...

Over the past several months the OpenJPA community has grown from a
single large donation to a diverse community of contributors and
users. OpenJPA meets the technical requirements for diversity, with
committers from three and PPMC members from four independent
organizations.

Committers from other Apache projects have not only used the
incubating releases as dependencies in their projects but provided
patches to OpenJPA as well.

The OpenJPA community prepared and voted out two releases performed
by different release managers.

The community readily agreed on the bike-shed issues of code
formatting and indentation, and there has been no resurrection of
these issues. The community had issues with commit-then-review versus
review-then-commit and resolved them win-win. Most recently, a public
issue regarding the proposed charter of the TLP was resolved.

During the process of incubation, the PPMC learned how to govern
itself, voting in new committers and PPMC members.

Mentors offered invaluable advice and assistance in getting the
project set up and organized.

The status file for OpenJPA can be found at: http://svn.apache.org/
repos/asf/incubator/openjpa/STATUS

The incubator checklist web page for OpenJPA can be found at: http://
incubator.apache.org/projects/openjpa.html

Establish the Apache OpenJPA project

        Foundation's purpose to establish a Project, to be known as
        Apache OpenJPA, related to the implementation of
        object persistence, including, but not limited to,
        Java Persistence API, for distribution at no charge to the
public;

        Committee (PMC), be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws
        of the Foundation; and be it further

        RESOLVED, that the OpenJPA PMC be and hereby is charged with
        the creation and maintenance of Apache OpenJPA;
        and be it further

        RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache OpenJPA"
be and
        hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at
        the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the
        OpenJPA PMC, and to have primary responsibility for
management of
        the projects within the scope of responsibility of the Apache
OpenJPA
        PMC; and be it further

        OpenJPA PMC:

        Geir Magnusson Jr.          <ge...@apache.org>
        Patrick Linskey             <pc...@apache.org>
        Craig Russell               <cl...@apache.org>
        Kevin Sutter                <kw...@apache.org>
        Abe White                   <aw...@apache.org>
        Marc Prud'hommeaux          <mp...@apache.org>

        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Craig Russell
        be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache OpenJPA,
to serve
        in accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of
        Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death,
        resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification, or until
        a successor is appointed; and be it further

        RESOLVED, that the initial OpenJPA PMC be and hereby is tasked
        with the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator
        OpenJPA podling; and be it further

        Incubator OpenJPA podling and encumbered upon the Apache
Incubator
        PMC are hereafter discharged.

Craig Russell
DB PMC, OpenJPA PPMC
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: [VOTE] Graduate OpenJPA to a Top Level Project

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Craig L Russell wrote:
> [x] +1 Recommend to the board to establish Apache OpenJPA

 -jean

Re: [VOTE] Graduate OpenJPA to a Top Level Project

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com>.
+1. Thanks again, Craig, for all the work on the board resolution.

-Patrick

Patrick Linskey
202 669 5907

Re: [VOTE] Graduate OpenJPA to a Top Level Project

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
+1

Thanks, Craig!

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

On 5/9/07, Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> +1 Good folks, good community, good code!

Agreed - am hoping we can make the bytecode post processing step an
optional optimisation rather than a mandatory feature to make it super
easy for folks migrating from hibernate....

Awesome website CSS BTW :)

James

-------
http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Graduate OpenJPA to a Top Level Project

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

Posted by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
+1

Craig

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@apache.org>.
[X] +1 Recommend to the board to establish Apache OpenJPA
 [ ] -1 Do not recommend establishing Apache OpenJPA because...

-Michael Dick

Re: [VOTE] Graduate OpenJPA to a Top Level Project

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 5/9/07, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:

<snip>

> [X] +1 Recommend to the board to establish Apache OpenJPA
> [ ] -1 Do not recommend establishing Apache OpenJPA because...

- robert