Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Olivier RICARD <ol...@blogspirit.com> on 2010/10/12 11:03:18 UTC

Replication and CPU

Hello,

I setup a server for the replication of Solr. I used 2 cores and for
each one I specified the replication. I followed the tutorial on
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication.

The replication is OK for each cores. However the CPU is used to 100% on
the slave. The master and slave are 2 servers with the same hardware
configuration. I don't understand which can cause the problem. The slave
is launched by :

java -Dsolr.solr.home=/solr/multicore -Denable.master=false
-Denable.slave=true -Xms512m -Xmx1536m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -jar
start.jar

If I comment the replication the server is OK.

Anyone have an idea ?

Regards,
Olivier

Re: Replication and CPU

Posted by Peter Karich <pe...@yahoo.de>.
Hi Olivier,

the index size is relative big and you enabled replication after startup:
<str name="replicateAfter">startup</str>

This could explain why the slave is replicating from the very beginning.

Are the index versions/generations the same? (via command or
admin/replication)
If not, the slaves tries to replicate and if that fails it will try
again and again.

Are the servers in the same LAN? Maybe replication is just slow?
BTW: CPU usage should be small while replication but peaks nearly after
replication because of autowarming.

Do you have enough free disc space on the slave? (>54GB)

To understand what might be the problem comment out the two
replicateAfter statements in the config
+ reload + go to the admin/replication site. There hit 'replicate now'
and see what happens.
Update the UI after some seconds.
(not via F5 I think but via entering the url again + Enter to avoid POST
this again)

If nothing seems to change you'll have an error.
Then look at the logs to investigate this and try the command on master
and slave to better 'debug' replication:
http://slave_host:port/solr/replication?command=details
documented at: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication

Hopes this helps a bit ...

Regards,
Peter.

--
http://jetwick.com twitter search prototype

Re: Replication and CPU

Posted by Olivier RICARD <ol...@blogspirit.com>.
Hello Peter,

On the slave server http://slave/solr/core0/admin/replication/index.jsp

Poll Interval   	 00:30:00
Local Index 	Index Version: 1284026488242, Generation: 13102
Location: /solr/multicore/core0/data/index
Size: 26.9 GB
Times Replicated Since Startup: 289
Previous Replication Done At: Tue Oct 12 12:00:00 GMT+02:00 2010
Config Files Replicated At: 1286790818824
Config Files Replicated: [solrconfig_slave.xml]
Times Config Files Replicated Since Startup: 1
Next Replication Cycle At: Tue Oct 12 12:30:00 GMT+02:00 2010

The request Handler on the slave  :
<requestHandler name="/replication" class="solr.ReplicationHandler" >
     <lst name="slave">
         <str
name="masterUrl">http://master/solr/${solr.core.name}/replication</str>
         <str name="pollInterval">00:30:00</str>
	</lst>
</requestHandler>

I increased the poll interval because I thought that there were too many
changes. Currently there are no changes on the master and the slave is
always to 100% of cpu.

On the master, I have

<requestHandler name="/replication" class="solr.ReplicationHandler" >
     <lst name="master">
         <str name="replicateAfter">startup</str>
         <str name="replicateAfter">commit</str>
         <str
name="confFiles">solrconfig_slave.xml:solrconfig.xml,schema.xml,stopwords.txt,elevate.xml,protwords.txt,spellings.txt,synonyms.txt</str>
         <str name="commitReserveDuration">00:00:10</str>
     </lst>
</requestHandler>

Regards,
Olivier