Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Anil Ramnanan <li...@peppersauce.org> on 2005/07/16 17:58:07 UTC

Wizard for Views

I am currently trying to finish up the editor for the site.xml and
tabs.xml files. It is currently functional and the only things missing
are drag and drop support from the Eclipse navigation window and the
ability to edit the properties through the Eclipse properties view.

I was thinking that I would get some feedback on the wizard for the
Views and contracts. I am new to it so I am trying to understand how it
works. I would like to know how you all would see a wizard working ie
what functionality would you like to see in a wizard ?

Regards,
Anil.

Re: locationmap editor (was Re: Wizard for Views)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Anil Ramnanan wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>

>> That's your call. I've not looked at Lepido in detail so can't really
>> advise other than to say we should consider the Lepido solution (note
>> that if we leverage the Lepido plugin we get all their other editors
>> for free as well). There's still plenty to finish off in the site.xml
>> and tabs.xml editors so we can afford to wait for a short while.
>>
>> I'm hoping to look at Lepido at the tail end of this week so maybe we
>> can revisit this then, but first I want to provide some feedback on
>> the current editors.
>>
>> Ross
>>
> I got a reply on the dev mailing list and they say that they are waiting
> for the next version of the WTP milestones to come out which should be
> on Friday (29th).

Cool, we'll wait till then in the meantime we may as well move on to the
next requirement. (by the way, things are progressing very well, this is
great work and it is great to see you becoming involved in the community
more)

> They were also intersted in the plugin as they were saying that the may
> consider having sub-projects in Lepido for Cocoon-related projects. I
> was not quite sure how to reply to that.

I'm part of the "interested parties" listed in the original proposal for
the Lepdio project (as a result of the Burrokeet project which is
Eclipse based). I met with Sylvain (from Lepdio) at ApacheCon I'll jump
in on the thread on the Lepido list.

My current thinking is that the plugin should stay here, but link with
Lepido. We can revisit when Forrest and the plugin is stable, unless
Lepido come up with a good reason to do otherwise.

Ross

Re: locationmap editor (was Re: Wizard for Views)

Posted by Anil Ramnanan <li...@peppersauce.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Anil Ramnanan <li...@peppersauce.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> I looked at an early version of it (pre 3.1). I talked to Sylvain at
> Apachecon, he is expecting to make a release very soon.
>
> Both the plugins you mention are from the Web Tools Project. I think
> that Lepido is currently being updated to work with the latest WTP
> milestone release. Perhaps there is a change in the packaging?

I am currently using 1.0 M4 so I will try upgrading to a new version.

> Perhaps a mail to the dev list asking when a release is planned will
> help us plan the way forward.

I already sent a mail to dev list.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Anil Ramnanan <li...@peppersauce.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: Wizard for Views

Posted by Anil Ramnanan <li...@peppersauce.org>.

Posted by rg...@saafe.org.

Re: Wizard for Views

Posted by Anil Ramnanan <li...@peppersauce.org>.

Re: Wizard for Views

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: Wizard for Views

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 11:58 -0400, Anil Ramnanan wrote:
> I am currently trying to finish up the editor for the site.xml and
> tabs.xml files. It is currently functional and the only things missing
> are drag and drop support from the Eclipse navigation window and the
> ability to edit the properties through the Eclipse properties view.
>
> I was thinking that I would get some feedback on the wizard for the
> Views and contracts. I am new to it so I am trying to understand how it
> works. I would like to know how you all would see a wizard working ie
> what functionality would you like to see in a wizard ?

Hi Anil,

I talked about the wizard with Ross on the conference. I try to
summarize what we came up with (please ask question if you do not
understand what I mean).

Preparation:
First you would activate forrest:views in your project to follow my
examples. Actually when you do a forrest seed on actual head then you
need to uncomment the properties for views (project.skin and plugins).
More information on views you can find in the howTo's around them
online.
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/howto/howto-view-install.html

Now start forrest and point your browser to
http://localhost:8888/ls.contracts.html. This page will bring up all
contracts that we currently have in our contract repository and which
can be used in the view.

The idea is firstly to create a wizard for forrest:view (*.fv).
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/howto/howto-view-dsl.html

eclipse:
We thought the first eclipse view should contain a tree view of all
possible view contracts
(http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/howto/howto-view-install.html#availableContracts). When selecting one contract from the tree, the contract will be added to the forrest:view (e.g. default.fv)

You can use the <usage/> of each selected contract.
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/howto/howto-view-contracts.html#newContract
to adding the contract to the view.

Another eclipse view would be the nodes of the view file (e.g.
default.fv). Here we have just the following tag:
-forrest:hook
-forrest:css
-forrest:contract

This are just some basic instruction, please ask any question that may
raise here.

Thanks

salu2

--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: Wizard for Views

Posted by Anil Ramnanan <li...@peppersauce.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>I will have a look on that with Ross tonight or tomorrow and will report
>back soon.
>
>Salu2

Thanks. While you are looking at it I will try to finish up the site.xml
and tabs.xml editor. I also began some work on the forrest.properties
editor.

Regards,
Anil

Re: Wizard for Views