Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2007/02/16 15:23:35 UTC

[VOTE] Release build 6.0.10

Candidate binaries are available here:
http://people.apache.org/~remm/tomcat-6/v6.0.10/

According to the (slightly) updated release process, the 6.0.10 tag is:
[ ] Broken
[ ] Alpha
[ ] Beta
[ ] Stable

Rémy

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.10

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Candidate binaries are available here:
> http://people.apache.org/~remm/tomcat-6/v6.0.10/
>
> According to the (slightly) updated release process, the 6.0.10 tag is:
> [ ] Broken
> [ ] Alpha
> [ ] Beta
> [ ] Stable

Only three votes so far. Any additional votes after testing it ?

Rémy

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.10

Posted by Jeanfrancois Arcand <jf...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.10

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>>> Candidate binaries are available here:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~remm/tomcat-6/v6.0.10/
>>>
>>> According to the (slightly) updated release process, the 6.0.10 tag is:
>>> [ ] Broken
>>> [ ] Alpha
>>> [X] Beta
>>> [ ] Stable
>>>
>> Sorry guys and girls, I messed up and have a memory leak in the NIO
>> connector.
>> Fixing it right now.
>
> I respect your vote. However, it's not going to change my opinion on
> this build, since it's obvious some issue is going to be found someday
> in any build. At this point, I think delaying more to fix one
> particular issue, and iterating again for months after issues slowly
> trickle in would simply be huge waste of time.
That's fine. It's not like my "beta" vote is a "-1 stable" vote. I'm
just setting that vote to mark a known, pretty serious issue.
If majority votes stable, I don't see a problem with a stable release.

Filip

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.10

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On 2/20/07, Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Sorry guys and girls, I messed up and have a memory leak in the NIO
> > connector.
> > Fixing it right now.
>
> I respect your vote. However, it's not going to change my opinion on
> this build, since it's obvious some issue is going to be found someday
> in any build. At this point, I think delaying more to fix one particular
> issue, and iterating again for months after issues slowly trickle in
> would simply be huge waste of time.

Agreed, stable does not mean perfect.  Servlet/JSP API spec compliance
should contain no regressions, and otherwise there should be no huge
things.  A memory leak in the non-default connector doesn't count as a
huge thing in my opinion, but of course that's subjective, and so your
beta vote is fine but not a stopper.  If you feel like adding a notice
to the release notes or connector docs, feel free of course to do so.

Yoav

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.10

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.10

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.10

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
[X] Stable

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.10

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hola,

On 2/16/07, Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:
> > According to the (slightly) updated release process, the 6.0.10 tag is:
> > [ ] Broken
> > [ ] Alpha
> > [ ] Beta
> > [ X ] Stable

Yoav

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.10

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Candidate binaries are available here:
> http://people.apache.org/~remm/tomcat-6/v6.0.10/
>
> According to the (slightly) updated release process, the 6.0.10 tag is:
> [ ] Broken
> [ ] Alpha
> [ ] Beta
> [ ] Stable

Note: in particular, this build includes (safe) optimizations in Jasper,
so this is the component that would need some regression testing (I did
not notice any particular problems when testing some tests out of the
TCK, however)

Rémy

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.10

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> BTW: Should I open reports in Bugzilla for the things above or would that be
> an overkill?

Those issues come from merging the two examples webapps into one. I
think it's ok if you create one bug report listing all these issues.

Rémy

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.10

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
Markus Schönhaber wrote:

> I have stumbled upon some trivial glitches:

One more: all the source codes for the JSP examples (*.jsp.html, *.jspx.html,
*.tag.html, *.java.html) seem to be missing. The URLs pointing to them look
correct but the files are not there.

Regards
  mks

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.10

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> According to the (slightly) updated release process, the 6.0.10 tag is:
> [X] Stable

I haven't tested the new features like NIO neither have I noticed the CL
issue, you mention in another post so I can't say anything about those parts
of 6.0.10.

I have stumbled upon some trivial glitches:
- Form the pages in /docs the link to the release notes doesn't work because
the href doesn't start with a '/', i. e. it should read "/RELEASE-NOTES.txt"
instead of "RELEASE-NOTES.txt".
- The JSP examples pages
/examples/jsp/error/err.jsp
/examples/jsp/sessions/carts.jsp
/examples/jsp/include/include.jsp
/examples/jsp/forward/forward.jsp
/examples/jsp/jsptoserv/jsptoservlet.jsp
contain <@ include file="..."> or <@ include forward="..."> directives where
the resp. URIs should start with "/jsp". For example
/examples/jsp/error/err.jsp
should contain
<%@ include file="/jsp/error/error.html" %>
instead of
<%@ include file="/error/error.html" %>
- Similarly, servletToJsp should forward to
/jsp/jsptoserv/hello.jsp
instead of
/jsptoserv/hello.jsp
- In
/examples/jsp/plugin/applet
the .class file of the applet is missing.
- In
/examples/jsp/jsp2/jspx/svgexample.html
the URL the user is told to copy should be
http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/jsp2/jspx/textRotate.jspx?name=JSPX
instead of
http://localhost:8080/jsp-examples/jsp2/jspx/textRotate.jspx?name=JSPX

Besides these trivial issues I have found 6.0.10 rock stable.

Regards
  mks

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.10

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Candidate binaries are available here:
> http://people.apache.org/~remm/tomcat-6/v6.0.10/
>
> According to the (slightly) updated release process, the 6.0.10 tag is:
> [ ] Broken
> [ ] Alpha
> [ ] Beta
> [X] Stable

There are some issues with NIO, as well as a CL glitch (which does not
seem too common however). Most likely a release will be made within one
month to fix bugs that will be found in that release.

Rémy

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.10

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Mark Thomas wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>>> According to the (slightly) updated release process, the 6.0.10 tag is:
>>> [ ] Broken
>>> [ ] Alpha
>>> [ ] Beta
>>> [X] Stable
>> So far, there are 3 binding votes for stable (with one from an inactive
>> committer), and 1 for beta. While a beta or stable release could legaly
>> be made, I don't feel comfortable with it without more votes.
>
> In my usage to date I haven't found any issues that prevent it being
> stable.

Ok, so with the additional votes, I think 6.0.10 may reasonably be
called stable :)

Rémy

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.10

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
>> According to the (slightly) updated release process, the 6.0.10 tag is:
>> [ ] Broken
>> [ ] Alpha
>> [ ] Beta
>> [X] Stable
>
> So far, there are 3 binding votes for stable (with one from an inactive
> committer), and 1 for beta. While a beta or stable release could legaly
> be made, I don't feel comfortable with it without more votes.

In my usage to date I haven't found any issues that prevent it being
stable.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.10

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
I'll give it a whirl. I'm in the process of getting some new servers
which can actually run java5. (Thus modernizing me to 2003)

-Tim

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.10

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Tim Funk wrote:
> Minor (non show stopper) issues:
> - /manager/html-manager-howto.html is missing
> - /manager/manager-howto.html is missing

I missed that.

> - The default welcome page has a bad link to /tomcat-docs instead of docs

The default page at the moment should be index.html now (not index.jsp,
which is out of date).

Rémy

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.10

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Minor (non show stopper) issues:
- /manager/html-manager-howto.html is missing
- /manager/manager-howto.html is missing
- The default welcome page has a bad link to /tomcat-docs instead of docs

I'm OK with stable since it looks suitable for production use in many
scenarios.

-Tim

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.10

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.