Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by dahu <da...@dahu.fr> on 2014/02/07 19:32:07 UTC

ContributorRequest

hi

seems i was wrong asking directly to the owner of the PowerBy page to
add my product to not poluate this mailing :(

So, I've build a "personnality check" on a big servlet based on the
Exist XML DataBase running on a Tomcat. Every day , my servlet collect
the data on my public webserver, download it and work to generate all
the average based on 900 000 rows. Then, it push it back on my public
webserver. The website is in french but, to explain, its not a simple
personnality check, it "compare" your results with all other, i mean
All, over 130 questions. (the web : fichedepersonnalite.com)

So, after month working on my servlet and finally get it work fine,
browsing regulary the wiki, i saw the PowerBy and wonder now it's
finished to mention my product on it.

I saw that the powerby page is a big spammy page. So, understanding that
i have a good face of spammy guy, i decided to contribute and not just
ask a contributorGroup  status.

So, i cleaned the page with this methodology :

1- listing all external link with a free tool like
http://smallseotools.com/website-links-count-checker/

2- checking all http header with the php get_headers function()
=> CSV attached with all html headers (no header=timeout)

3 - Generating  well MoinMoin formated (using MoinMoin sandbox) url list
(only header code 200,301,302)

4 - Cleaning double(triple!) domain  + Keeping all articles, valuable
url even if same url

5 - Removing all logo (because pointing on external url)

6 - Copy past all missing text

7 - Designing in a list like DMOZ style and automated list numbers syntax

8 - Added my product fichedepersonnalite.com

9 - Done. the text file attached is the MoinMoin code of the clean list
(poweredBy-moinmoin.txt)

10 - Enjoy !

  You just have to verify that all is right and copy/paste the code

Hope you will appreciate my contribution and give a chance to my work

Whatever your decision, be aware that it's a real strange page with
really many outdated links and many keyword optimizations... May be
consider to just put this page down ? or put all links in "nofollow" ?

regards

LAINE pierre-jean
wikiaccount PierreJean

Re: ContributorRequest

Posted by dahu <da...@dahu.fr>.
Le 07/02/2014 20:01, Konstantin Kolinko a écrit : seems i was wrong
asking directly to the owner of the PowerBy page to add my product to
not poluate this mailing :(
> "What did not happen on a mailing list, did not happen at all".
now i know

>> So, I've build a "personnality check" on a big servlet based on the Exist
>> XML DataBase running on a Tomcat. Every day , my servlet collect the data on
>> my public webserver, download it and work to generate all the average based
>> on 900 000 rows. Then, it push it back on my public webserver. The website
>> is in french but, to explain, its not a simple personnality check, it
>> "compare" your results with all other, i mean All, over 130 questions. (the
>> web : fichedepersonnalite.com)
>>
>> So, after month working on my servlet and finally get it work fine, browsing
>> regulary the wiki, i saw the PowerBy and wonder now it's finished to mention
>> my product on it.
>>
>> I saw that the powerby page is a big spammy page. So, understanding that i
>> have a good face of spammy guy, i decided to contribute and not just ask a
>> contributorGroup  status.
>>
>> So, i cleaned the page with this methodology :
>>
>> 1- listing all external link with a free tool like
>> http://smallseotools.com/website-links-count-checker/
>>
>> 2- checking all http header with the php get_headers function()
>> => CSV attached with all html headers (no header=timeout)
>>
>> 3 - Generating  well MoinMoin formated (using MoinMoin sandbox) url list
>> (only header code 200,301,302)
> A 301/302 response is a valid response. Where the redirection goes?

i didn't take time to check every link. The only way to do that
effeciently is to use a web service of webpage screenshot thumb and
check visualy if the thumb is not a chinese or domain squater page. I
can do it , but i need a bit time.

> 4 - Cleaning double(triple!) domain  + Keeping all articles, valuable url
> even if same url
> What do you mean by triple domain?
>
> The issues that I know might be there:
> a) Hosting providers placing their ads in a wrong section
> b) Broken links
> c) Sites taken over by squatters
>
> Any such links can be thrown away immediately.

well.
add d) : keyword optimisation  =
Blabla.com-> blabla company
blabla.com/greatproduct.html => blabla optimized keyword
etc. x3, x4 , and one did it x5

There was more than 10 using this. But i didn't touch it, because i have
no autority to do this. (ok. On some that were too explicit, i cleaned
them :) )

In fact, the DMOZ solution was a great idea: One link, one description.
Thats all.

>> 5 - Removing all logo (because pointing on external url)
>>
>> 6 - Copy past all missing text
>>
>> 7 - Designing in a list like DMOZ style and automated list numbers syntax
>>
>> 8 - Added my product fichedepersonnalite.com
>>
>> 9 - Done. the text file attached is the MoinMoin code of the clean list
>> (poweredBy-moinmoin.txt)
>>
> Huh.  A lot to review.
>
> For a newcomer (like I was a few years ago), the images are good, they
> make the page look better.  For the current me, removing all them
> starts sound like a good idea, but I am not convinced yet.
Yep, i understand. Yep, it's better look. Only when pict are not huge.
Too work to resize i think.

/ Anyway, a broken image is usually an indication that a site has gone.

Firefox don't show anymore broken image as IE does it with a transparent
square, and i hate IE.

>> 10 - Enjoy !
>>
>>   You just have to verify that all is right and copy/paste the code
>>
>> Hope you will appreciate my contribution and give a chance to my work
>>
>> Whatever your decision, be aware that it's a real strange page with really
>> many outdated links and many keyword optimizations... May be consider to
>> just put this page down ? or put all links in "nofollow" ?
> The links are generated by MoinMoin. It would be better to make
> MoinMoin itself mark them as "nofollow".  It might be even easier to
> put "nofollow" into META tag in the head section of the page, or in an
> HTTP response header.

I do not think that moinmoin offer this type of custom link.
(rel=nofollow), but i think that like mediawiki does it, it will come in
futur version.
by the way, i think it's cool to help tiny project by a DoFollow. It's
always the same problem: restrict 95 cool user because of 5 bad user.
Well. Choose your way.

I better think to an hard discouragement text such as : "all newly added
links are immediatly checked. SEO, dont loose your time."
or something like that.

>> wikiaccount PierreJean
> Done.

thank you very much.

Do i apply my new version ?

Can i add exist-db to honor them ?

Do i pass an hard eye on it ? (one product=one link at all , on compagny
name keyword only ) ?

Let me know.

PJ

Re: ContributorRequest

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2014-02-07 dahu <da...@dahu.fr>:
> [...]

For a newcomer (like I was a few years ago), the images are good, they
make the page look better.  For the current me, removing all them
starts sound like a good idea, but I am not convinced yet.

Anyway, a broken image is usually an indication that a site has gone.

> 10 - Enjoy !
>
>  You just have to verify that all is right and copy/paste the code
>
> Hope you will appreciate my contribution and give a chance to my work
>
> Whatever your decision, be aware that it's a real strange page with really
> many outdated links and many keyword optimizations... May be consider to
> just put this page down ? or put all links in "nofollow" ?

The links are generated by MoinMoin. It would be better to make
MoinMoin itself mark them as "nofollow".  It might be even easier to
put "nofollow" into META tag in the head section of the page, or in an

Done.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko