Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2020/10/18 14:19:27 UTC

[DISCUSS] New PMC chairperson

Hi everyone,

After a decade of serving as the UIMA Project's PMC Chairperson, I've decided to
step down as the UIMA PMC chair, as soon as we can reach a consensus on a new
chairperson.

I have found being the chairperson of this project and working with the
community on it, to be extremely personally rewarding, for which I am very
grateful.  My own personal job role has shifted considerably over these years,
and I now find that I currently do not have time to focus on this role.

It's a good policy to have new people with fresh energy step up into this role
from time to time.

In terms of possible candidates, I see that Richard Eckart de Castilho has
recently become quite active, and has picked up the activity around the core
uimaj project as well, including working on many tricky internal issues;  if he
were willing, I think he would be a very good candidate as the next PMC chair.

Please express your opinions, and let's form a consensus, which we can then
formalize with a [VOTE].

-Marshall

Re: [DISCUSS] New PMC chairperson

Posted by Viorel Morari <vi...@averbis.com>.
Hi,

I would like to join with my colleagues in thanking Marshall for his outstanding work and continued support of UIMA world.
I believe your work on UIMA will bring joy to many people like it did to me while working on my master thesis :).

I am happy to endorse Richard in taking the next PPMC chair and thank him for his dedication and commitment to the UIMA community.

Best,
Viorel

--
Viorel Morari
R&D Text Mining/Machine Learning

Averbis GmbH
Salzstr. 15
79098 Freiburg
Germany

Fon: +49 761 708 394 0
Fax: +49 761 708 394 10
Email: viorel.morari@averbis.com

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.
Marshall has been an amazing contributor to UIMA for at least 15 years.
UIMA v3, the multiple compressed CAS serialization methods, the
indexing system redesign, his many other performance optimizations and
bug fixes represent almost all of the contributions to the UIMA core in this
time period. Perhaps most of all, Marshall was always responsive to the
UIMA community and to the Apache Software Foundation.

Richard has also been a strong contributor to the UIMA project for the past
few
years. His innovative work on UIMA-fit has benefitted many users as well as
influencing changes to core UIMA. Richard has demonstrated support for all
aspects of the UIMA project beyond the core. Both project and community are
quite fortunate that he is willing to take on the PMCC leadership role.

Eddie

Posted by Daniel Gruhl <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lou DeGenaro <lo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Burn Lewis <bu...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to add my sincere thanks to Marshall for all the support and
advice that he gave as I learned about UIMA and open source development.
He will be missed but UIMA is in good hands with Richard as PMC chair.
Thanks to you both!
Burn

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.