Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org> on 1998/07/27 21:01:27 UTC

Fwd: Microsoft Security Bulletin (MS98-008)

We might want to make sure there aren't any Win32 DoS attacks, or even
security holes, associated with asking os_canonical_filename to resolve
really realy long paths.

	Brian

--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices  |     brian@apache.org
acquired by the age of eighteen." - Einstein   |  brian@hyperreal.org

Re: Fwd: Microsoft Security Bulletin (MS98-008)

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> We might want to make sure there aren't any Win32 DoS attacks, or even
> security holes, associated with asking os_canonical_filename to resolve
> really realy long paths.

I really think this just looks like your standard userland buffer
overflow caused by lack of bounds checking...

If it is anything more, that would be horribly lame and the OS should be
the thing being patched.