Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by Naveen <na...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/19 11:46:32 UTC

Ignite node heap gradually increasing and not getting stabilized

Hello All

we are using Ignite 2.8.1 with native persistence enabled.

We have cluster with 5 nodes and did a cluster restart recently. Few days
after the cluster restart, we are seeing node heap memory is constantly
increasing and not getting stabilized.

<http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/file/t1478/heap_memory.gif>

And not much increase in offheap memory though

<http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/file/t1478/offheap-memory.gif>

And, nothing has been changed, no change in the load like writes and reads
are pretty much the same.
We have not pre-loaded (or warming-up memory) the data after the cluster
restart, it does increase the latency and disk IO etc, but does it increase
the heap utilization so much.

what else I can verify to know the root cause of this heap increase and how
can we make this stable, not seeing any other side affects of this heap
utilization though. Its just that its almost nearing the max heap set for
the node

Thanks
Naveen

Re: Ignite node heap gradually increasing and not getting stabilized

Posted by Naveen <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Can someone confirm what I am doing this correct for forcing the GC.
I did this on one of our lower environments,

$ sudo -u ignite jcmd 90341 GC.heap_info
90341:
 garbage-first heap   total 2101248K, *used 1261559K* [0x00000005c0000000,
0x0000000800000000)
  region size 2048K, 172 young (352256K), 3 survivors (6144K)
 Metaspace       used 77269K, capacity 79504K, committed 80892K, reserved
1122304K
  class space    used 7363K, capacity 8207K, committed 8576K, reserved
1048576K
******************************
then ran the below command
******************************
$ sudo -u ignite jcmd 90341 GC.run
90341:
Command executed successfully
********************************
$ sudo -u ignite jcmd 90341 GC.heap_info
90341:
 garbage-first heap   total 2097152K, *used 530847K* [0x00000005c0000000,
0x0000000800000000)
  region size 2048K, 9 young (18432K), 0 survivors (0K)
 Metaspace       used 77195K, capacity 79390K, committed 80892K, reserved
1122304K
  class space    used 7352K, capacity 8187K, committed 8576K, reserved
1048576K

The only difference I see here is

used 1261559K (before)
used 530847K (after)

does that mean, it did collect some objects and heap memory freed up ?
or any better ways of forcing GC ?

Thanks

Re: Ignite node heap gradually increasing and not getting stabilized

Posted by Stephen Darlington <st...@gridgain.com>.
Not a direct answer, but there were a lot of improvements to thin clients in Ignite 2.10, specifically in cases where there are many connections.

Posted by Ilya Kasnacheev <il...@gmail.com>.
Hello!

You need to find out which objects keep references to these, eventually
tracing their usage to some large component of Ignite or your application.

Ilya Kasnacheev

Posted by Ilya Kasnacheev <il...@gmail.com>.
Hello!

How many tables do you have? I don't see why you there are so many.

I'm not sure who holds all those CipherSuite's. Can you check?

If you have a ton of thin client connections with SSL which are doing MERGE
on many tables, I guess this may be OKish though.

Ilya Kasnacheev

Posted by Ilya Kasnacheev <il...@gmail.com>.
Hello!

Did you try to trigger a full GC and see what is the low level of heap
usage?

Please try collecting a heap dump from the node after some heap growth, and
checking it with Eclipse MAT for example.

Ilya Kasnacheev