Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Hugo Trippaers <hu...@trippaers.nl> on 2013/10/02 11:27:47 UTC

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Darren,

Any update on the vmware patch? Did you get the patch tested already? Would be nice to get this in for the next release.

Cheers,

Hugo

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Hugo Trippaers <tr...@gmail.com>.
Let's not repeat the previous discussion. We allready agreed that the wsdl is the way forward. However we can't get any legal entity to say that it is ok to do so.

Hence my proposal to at least move forward even if it means to temporarily use vijava.

I really don't care what we do, as long as we have VMware in the regular build before the 4.4 feature freeze.

If anyone of you is willing to chase VMware legal on this, please have a go at it.

Hugo

Sent from my iPhone

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Kelven Yang <ke...@citrix.com>.
Where do we get the source code of vim25.jar the first place? VMware only
releases WSDL but not the java source, we can either copy it from vijava
or generate it ourselves to put it into our source repo, but if we do
generate, it would be easier to maintain the code base if this generation
step is also automatic and in our build scripts. I’m also fine to just put
the source code into CloudStack if we can always get it from somewhere
without a license issue

Kelven

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Kelven Yang <ke...@citrix.com>.
wrote:

>Why do we need the WSDL at all? Why can't we check in vim25 sources like
>the vijava project has done?

We don’t have the vim25 source directly, further investigation showed that
vijava actually uses a different Web service engine, even if we copy all
the vim25 source files from vijava, it will still be missing an important
file called VimService.java.

Further investigation showed that, the strange VMware fixup tool does
nothing at all, it has misled us to believe that we can’t use directly
generated vim25.jar, this is not true any more.

The conclusion is that we can use wsimport tool from JDK to directly
generate vim25.jar from WSDL and use it.

Kelven

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Kelven Yang <ke...@citrix.com>.

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
We don't know that it is. We know the vim25.jar is distributed to us
from the vmware SDK with different licensing.

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
Not all.

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
#1 would still need licensing sorted - explicitly it would need to be
a Cat A or Cat B license.
https://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html

#2 or similar would work I think  (though I'd imagine they'd choose
MIT or BSD if going that route)

#3 A statement that they don't consider the WSDL copyrightable (I

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Hugo Trippaers <hu...@trippaers.nl>.
Chiradeep,

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Hugo Trippaers <HT...@schubergphilis.com>.
We are now again at the exact same point as where Darren was.

This is the legal ticket relevant to the license discussion: https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/LEGAL-180

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Hugo Trippaers <tr...@gmail.com>.
Kelven, Chiradeep,

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Kelven Yang <ke...@citrix.com>.

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
Apparently we can

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Hugo Trippaers <tr...@gmail.com>.
Chiradeep,

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
Suboptimal for?

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Kelven Yang <ke...@citrix.com>.
Hugo,

I think we seems to come to a census that to use WSDL to generate the java
stub which is pretty much compatible to what we have right now.

Kelven

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Hugo Trippaers <hu...@trippaers.nl>.
Heya,

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by Darren Shepherd <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Darren Shepherd
<da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No update on this.  I mentally got blocked on the emailing legal@
> about it.  Should I go ahead and email them?  Whats the full email
> address?  From a technical perspective I know this will work, I did
> some bytecode analysis and we can produce basically the exact same
> thing as what's in the jar today.  So its just a legal question in my
> mind.  So I didn't want to waste anybodies time if legal is going to
> say no.

Legal has in the past said it depends - so we won't know til you ask.

Anytime resources are referenced as $something@ here at the ASF - you
can generally assume postpending apache.org to that will get you to
the right place. Except in this case legal-discuss@apache.org is the
list you want, and you probably want to actually file a Jira ticket
for it, so Sam and others will see the constant tickler.

You may want to look at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-137 which is another
WSDL-related issue.

Re: VmWare SDK to vijava