Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> on 2003/01/25 00:25:56 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apr/include apr_file_io.h

fitz@apache.org wrote:

>  + * @remark The only reason that the apr_file_open_std* functions exist
>  + * is that you may not always have a stderr/out/in on Windows.

Huh? I thought the reason these functions exist is that otherwise you'd
have no portable way of getting a standard i/o handle that was an
apr_os_file_t. Which is a HANDLE on Windows, not an int, and
stdin/out/err aren't 0, 1 and 2, unlike Unix.

>  This
>  + * is generally a problem with newer versions of Windows and services.
>  + *
>  + * The other problem is that the C library functions generally work
>  + * differently on Windows and Unix.  So, by using apr_file_open_std*
>  + * functions, you can get a handle to an APR struct that works with
>  + * the APR functions which are supposed to work identically on all
>  + * platforms.

Yes, and the third "problem" is that APR on Windows doesn't use C file
functions, nor POSIX ones, it uses Win32 functions -- thank the gods --
and that's why apr_os_file_t exists.