Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <gg...@apache.org> on 2012/02/27 22:16:02 UTC

[VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

Hello All:

This VOTE is to update the platform requirement for Commons Lang trunk to
Java 6 from Java 5.

The reasons are:

- Stop wasting time back porting code contributions from Java 6 to Java 5.
- Stop fixing erroneous commits that happened to use Java 6 methods.
- Stop using a dead version of Java for current development

- Use a current version of Java for current development in trunk
- Attract more developers and interest.

The current version of Lang is 3.1 and requires Java 5. If more Java 5-only
patches are needed, they will be performed on a branch.

This VOTE is open for at least 72 hours (March 1, 2012 at 16:20PM EST)

Thank you,
Gary

JUnit in Action, 2nd Ed: http://bit.ly/ECvg0
Spring Batch in Action: http://bit.ly/bqpbCK
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory <http://twitter.com/GaryGregory>

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
My +1.

Gary

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.
So you're -0?

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 29 February 2012 20:34, Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de> wrote:
> -0
>
> I can understand that we all are keen to work with the latest and greatest
> technology. Therefore, if we really needed a feature of a newer JDK, I would
> certainly be +1.
>
> Given the functionality we provide in [lang] and the JDK classes we use,
> IMHO the minor differences between JDK 1.6 and 1.5 are currently not
> relevant. So I see no compelling reason to exclude a user group (even if it
> may be a minority).

My thoughts exactly.

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
-0

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
big +1

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 1:37 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 February 2012 23:08, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Is it dead for Android?
>>
>> http://developer.android.com/sdk/requirements.html
>
>> you need JDK 1.6 to develop android apps (I actually do this)
>
> The document actually says:
>
> JDK 5 or JDK 6 (JRE alone is not sufficient)
>
> It's not required to have JDK 6.
>
> But this is not really relevant, because the compiler used has no
> direct relation to the API supported by the Dalvik libraries.

Sorry, I misspelled. I wanted to include jdk 5,restructured my
message, then it went lost.
Of course you are not forced to use jdk6, but you can. That being
said, Android is not a blocker.

While we are at it, it seems JDK 1.6 is even possible on the AS/400:
http://www.mrc-productivity.com/techblog/?p=950

As you have expressed concerns the last time, i think many people
would like to see you voting.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Hen

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.
bigger +1!!!!

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
volunteers maintaining [lang] have to work in the more comfortable
conditions they need - if keeping the Java5 backward compatibility
became more a pain than something to enjoy in their spare time,
there's no reason to continue getting crazy with the risk they lose
the interest - and [lang] won't be released anymore.

so, +1

all the best,
-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/