Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Hao Zhang <bi...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/21 15:00:43 UTC

Cheers for GSOC

Brane:

Nice to write to you! I'm so exciting to see that I have been accepted as a
student for GSOC and you are my mentor. Thanks for all developers who voted
me! And special thanks for your favor!

I'm busy on my lab stuff these weeks and spent few time on our community,
but I would love to push my work forwards just now.  May I ask for some help
from you:

1.  Must I do my development on Linux? What about windows or cygwin?
2. Is there any document on how to build on Eclipse? The resource from
http://subversion.tigris.org/ seems not enough.
3. Could you please show some small issues or bugs fit for new comers to
deal with and get familiar with the environment?

Maybe my request is too simple and shallow, but I'm confident that I can
work better and better, and accomplish my mission perfectly!

Cheers
Hao

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1844712

Re: Cheers for GSOC

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:40:42AM +0200, Bert Huijben wrote:
> I completely automated a Subversion build including downloading / checking
> out, compiling and in some places patching dependencies for the SharpSvn
> build in a fraction of that time. (All publicly available in
> http://sharpsvn.open.collab.net/svn/sharpsvn/trunk/imports, username guest,
> no password).
>
> Cleaning it up to be more generally usable (and moving it into the
> Subversion project) would be a nice task though.

+1 for moving this into our tree.
And having the same thing for other platforms.
I have a Makefile for BSD make that does the same thing.
I could try to polish that to provide general *BSD builds.

We need daily builds of trunk for our users to test.

I posted a patch to users@ yesterday, and asked for testing.
The response was: Can someone please compile this for me?

This is inhibiting progress. If we had an automated nightly build
for a couple of platforms the result of which are used by the buildbots
and end up somewhere on FTP, I could have just thrown this patch into
the nightly build. The patch would have been tested by now (at least
by the bots), and it would save a lot of people a lot of time and
hassle.

Insisting that source code is the only result of our work to the point
of making it hard for our users to test changes we make is not healthy.

Stefan

RE: Cheers for GSOC

Posted by Bert Huijben <rh...@sharpsvn.net>.

The Apr-2 development currently breaks some pool cleanup scenario's (pre and
post child pool cleanups are hooked to the same list now). So I wouldn't
suggest looking at that before it is tested in real world scenarios a bit
better :(

> Oh, I just got this marvellous idea: let's put "New and Polished Windows
> Build and Packaging" into the SoC projects for next year -- not that it
> can realistically be done in 3 months (no-one can rewrite Windows that
> fast), but it's worth a try. :)

I completely automated a Subversion build including downloading / checking
out, compiling and in some places patching dependencies for the SharpSvn
build in a fraction of that time. (All publicly available in
http://sharpsvn.open.collab.net/svn/sharpsvn/trunk/imports, username guest,
no password).

Cleaning it up to be more generally usable (and moving it into the
Subversion project) would be a nice task though. (Even nicer if it can be
integrated in the new MSBuild based build system that VS2010 will introduce)

But I know at least a dozen SharpSvn users, that used the current script to
create their own Windows build of SharpSvn (including Subversion) with it.
The end result is commonly available as the Slik Svn client.

	Bert

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1857868

Re: Cheers for GSOC

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 5:22 AM, Branko Cibej <br...@xbc.nu> wrote:
> Edmund Wong wrote:
>> Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
>>
>>> Mark,
>>> Aside from our INSTALL file, is there a baby-step-by-baby-step guide
>>> to building Subversion, and it's dependencies on Windows?  About every
>>> six months, I try, but get frustrated after about 2 hours of fussing
>>> with apr or zlib or openssl or something else.  A very simple, very
>>> thorough document would be very useful.
>>>

>> I think that would be very useful.  It certainly would be interesting
>> (experimental wise) to see how Subversion is compiled under Windows.
>> Since the majority of my time is spent in Windows, it'd be another
>> good step in increasing Subversion's dev. exposure.
>>

> Yah well... the real trouble with Windows is that you don't just have
> DLL hell, you also have runtime hell -- practically every version of
> MSVC came with a new C runtime that was incompatible with any other
> version in very fundamental ways, and other compilers (used-to-be
> Borland, MinGW/gcc, etc.) are incompatible in other ways. This makes
> providing binary dev packages for external dependencies a real pain, and
> trying to build 'em all as part of the SVN build is an even bigger pain.
>
> It doesn't help that we added (at least) serf and sqlite dependencies
> since I last did any Windows development ... and the way we pick up BDB
> through APR on Windows is, frankly, a bit of a horrible nightmare.
> (APR-2's scons build should make this bit slightly less sticky.)

Serf and SQLite get built by our build system, so these are easy.

Scripts like Bert's help a lot, but the main pain is still getting all
the tools setup.  A lot of Windows users will not already have
Perl/Python installed.  Not to mention awk if you want to build Apache
or things like bzip2 to unpack the Serf tarball.  In some cases,
though seemingly less so these days, you also had to configure Visual
Studio to allow its build system to use these tools.

Once you have all the pieces, the actual build process is not too hard.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1859520

Re: Cheers for GSOC

Posted by Edmund Wong <ed...@kdtc.net>.
Branko Cibej wrote:

> Yah well... the real trouble with Windows is that you don't just have
> DLL hell, you also have runtime hell -- practically every version of

Ok.  'Nuff said.  DLL and Runtime Hell are both things I don't
want cluttering my system.  I keep on forgetting about this.  :I

Edmund

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1861459

Re: Cheers for GSOC

Posted by Branko Cibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Edmund Wong wrote:
> Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
>
>> Mark,
>> Aside from our INSTALL file, is there a baby-step-by-baby-step guide
>> to building Subversion, and it's dependencies on Windows?  About every
>> six months, I try, but get frustrated after about 2 hours of fussing
>> with apr or zlib or openssl or something else.  A very simple, very
>> thorough document would be very useful.
>>

> I think that would be very useful.  It certainly would be interesting
> (experimental wise) to see how Subversion is compiled under Windows.
> Since the majority of my time is spent in Windows, it'd be another
> good step in increasing Subversion's dev. exposure.

Yah well... the real trouble with Windows is that you don't just have
DLL hell, you also have runtime hell -- practically every version of
MSVC came with a new C runtime that was incompatible with any other
version in very fundamental ways, and other compilers (used-to-be
Borland, MinGW/gcc, etc.) are incompatible in other ways. This makes
providing binary dev packages for external dependencies a real pain, and
trying to build 'em all as part of the SVN build is an even bigger pain.

It doesn't help that we added (at least) serf and sqlite dependencies
since I last did any Windows development ... and the way we pick up BDB
through APR on Windows is, frankly, a bit of a horrible nightmare.
(APR-2's scons build should make this bit slightly less sticky.)

Oh, I just got this marvellous idea: let's put "New and Polished Windows
Build and Packaging" into the SoC projects for next year -- not that it
can realistically be done in 3 months (no-one can rewrite Windows that
fast), but it's worth a try. :)

-- Brane

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1857595

Re: Cheers for GSOC

Posted by Edmund Wong <ed...@belfordhk.com>.
Hyrum K. Wright wrote:

> Mark,
> Aside from our INSTALL file, is there a baby-step-by-baby-step guide
> to building Subversion, and it's dependencies on Windows?  About every
> six months, I try, but get frustrated after about 2 hours of fussing
> with apr or zlib or openssl or something else.  A very simple, very
> thorough document would be very useful.

I think that would be very useful.  It certainly would be interesting
(experimental wise) to see how Subversion is compiled under Windows.
Since the majority of my time is spent in Windows, it'd be another
good step in increasing Subversion's dev. exposure.

Just my $0.02.

Edmund

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1853208

Re: Cheers for GSOC

Posted by Hao Zhang <bi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for all of you! I feel more excited and encouraged than  having
seen been accepted in GSOC! I will try my best to quickly set up my
build environment and do hacking!

BTW, I lived in +8 UTC, and I'm online mainly on nights on weekdays
and free on weekends.

Best Regards
Hao

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1860961

Re: Cheers for GSOC

Posted by Branko Cibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
> On Apr 21, 2009, at 10:24 AM, Mark Phippard wrote:
>

>> We have people that develop everywhere.  You should develop where you
>> are comfortable.  Windows requires the most work to get the build
>> system setup, but Visual Studio is a very nice IDE to work and debug
>> in.
>>

> Mark,
> Aside from our INSTALL file, is there a baby-step-by-baby-step guide
> to building Subversion, and it's dependencies on Windows?  About every
> six months, I try, but get frustrated after about 2 hours of fussing
> with apr or zlib or openssl or something else.  A very simple, very
> thorough document would be very useful.

'fraid not ... unless you count the batch files in
tools/buildbot/slaves/win32-xp-VS2005. Frankly I'm scared to death of
even *trying* to set up a Windows build environment on Windows, and I
sort of helped invent it ...

-- Brane

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1847541

Re: Cheers for GSOC

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
On Apr 21, 2009, at 10:24 AM, Mark Phippard wrote:

> We have people that develop everywhere.  You should develop where you
> are comfortable.  Windows requires the most work to get the build
> system setup, but Visual Studio is a very nice IDE to work and debug
> in.

Mark,
Aside from our INSTALL file, is there a baby-step-by-baby-step guide
to building Subversion, and it's dependencies on Windows?  About every
six months, I try, but get frustrated after about 2 hours of fussing
with apr or zlib or openssl or something else.  A very simple, very
thorough document would be very useful.

-Hyrum

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1845457

Re: Cheers for GSOC

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Hao Zhang <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nice to write to you! I'm so exciting to see that I have been accepted as a
> student for GSOC and you are my mentor. Thanks for all developers who voted
> me! And special thanks for your favor!
>
> I'm busy on my lab stuff these weeks and spent few time on our community,
> but I would love to push my work forwards just now.  May I ask for some help
> from you:
>
> 1.  Must I do my development on Linux? What about windows or cygwin?

We have people that develop everywhere.  You should develop where you
are comfortable.  Windows requires the most work to get the build
system setup, but Visual Studio is a very nice IDE to work and debug
in.

> 2. Is there any document on how to build on Eclipse? The resource from
> http://subversion.tigris.org/ seems not enough.

Get Subclipse, get Eclipse CDT.  When you checkout, you run a wizard
to checkout as a project and indicate you want to create a CDT
standard make project.  You might want to turn off all the auto-build
stuff in Eclipse and just run configure/make from the command line.
But Eclipse gives a good editor and graphical debugger.  If you are on
Windows, you should use Visual Studio though.

> 3. Could you please show some small issues or bugs fit for new comers to
> deal with and get familiar with the environment?

This page lists bite-sized coding tasks.

http://subversion.tigris.org/tasks.html

I think it is a great idea to try to tackle one or more of these to
get your feet wet and learn the patch submission process.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1844889

Re: Cheers for GSOC

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:00:43PM +0800, Hao Zhang wrote:
>    1.  Must I do my development on Linux? What about windows or cygwin?

It does not matter. Just choose the platform you think will make you
most productive for development of Subversion. I don't know if cygwin
is supported, but many developers work on Windows every day (not me),
they should know.

>    2. Is there any document on how to build on Eclipse? The resource from
>    [1]http://subversion.tigris.org/ seems not enough.

I don't know. Maybe Mark Phippard knows if this is possible.
He is familiar with Eclipse.

>    3. Could you please show some small issues or bugs fit for new comers
>    to deal with and get familiar with the environment?

I guess you can just ask whenever you come across an issue that
prevents you from doing Subversion development.
That, among other things, is what this list is for :)

Stefan

Re: Cheers for GSOC

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com>.
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Hao Zhang <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Brane:
>
> Nice to write to you! I'm so exciting to see that I have been accepted as a
> student for GSOC and you are my mentor. Thanks for all developers who voted
> me! And special thanks for your favor!
>
> I'm busy on my lab stuff these weeks and spent few time on our community,
> but I would love to push my work forwards just now.  May I ask for some help
> from you:
>
> 1.  Must I do my development on Linux? What about windows or cygwin?
You can choose your favorite platform. Building Subversion on *nix is
slightly easier, but it's not big problem on Windows.

> 2. Is there any document on how to build on Eclipse? The resource from
> http://subversion.tigris.org/ seems not enough.
I don't about Eclipse, but on Windows you can use free Visual C++
Express Edition [1]

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/#webInstall

--
Ivan Zhakov
VisualSVN Team

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1845472

Re: Cheers for GSOC

Posted by Branko Cibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Hao Zhang wrote:
> Brane:
>
> Nice to write to you! I'm so exciting to see that I have been accepted
> as a student for GSOC and you are my mentor. Thanks for all developers
> who voted me! And special thanks for your favor!

Hi, Hao Zhang! Welcome!

Others have answered most of your questions, so I'll just add a couple
comments below.

> I'm busy on my lab stuff these weeks and spent few time on our
> community, but I would love to push my work forwards just now.  May
> I ask for some help from you:
>
> 1.  Must I do my development on Linux? What about windows or cygwin?

I'd recommend some Unix-like system for development, as that's the
best-maintained; but Windows is quite OK, if you're not familiar with
*ix. However I do recommend you stay away from cygwin because it behaves
very strangely, and is the least supported development platform, as far
as I know.

> 2. Is there any document on how to build on Eclipse? The resource from
> http://subversion.tigris.org/ seems not enough.
> 3. Could you please show some small issues or bugs fit for new comers
> to deal with and get familiar with the environment?
>
> Maybe my request is too simple and shallow, but I'm confident that I
> can work better and better, and accomplish my mission perfectly!

Your request is perfect. And don't worry about asking "too simple"
questions -- we're here to help you. Good luck with your project. :)

-- Brane

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1847858

Re: Cheers for GSOC

Posted by Hao Zhang <bi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Stephan. I'm better now, and hard working! Wish you and
HuangHui a good success!

Good Luck
Hao

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2367954

Re: Cheers for GSOC

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Re: Cheers for GSOC

Posted by Hao Zhang <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hello, All.

I'm so sorry to having being absent for such a long time! A thousand apologies!

In early May, I has returned to my home town in a hasty, and in
hospital for over a month, I couldn't access internet there, I had

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2366987