Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org> on 2013/03/29 15:47:58 UTC

[math] releasing 3.2, strange problem with apache-rat-plugin

Hi all,

When I generate the site from the current trunk, I get a rat report with
several missing headers. These errors correspond mainly to the test
files (and one MANIFEST file from the special functions validation part).

This is strange because I have fixed these problems one or two weeks
ago, by setting the appropriate excludes in the pom file. The
configuration looks like this now:

      <plugin>
        <groupId>org.apache.rat</groupId>
        <artifactId>apache-rat-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>${commons.rat.version}</version>
        <configuration>
          <excludes>

            <!-- MANIFEST files cannot have any comments, so we can't
put license header -->

<exclude>src/test/maxima/special/RealFunctionValidation/MANIFEST.txt</exclude>

            <!-- the following are test data files with specific syntax
that cannot include
                 Apache header (and the contained data is public, it is
not owned by Apache) -->

<exclude>src/test/resources/org/apache/commons/math3/random/testData.txt</exclude>

<exclude>src/test/resources/org/apache/commons/math3/random/emptyFile.txt</exclude>

<exclude>src/test/resources/org/apache/commons/math3/stat/data/PiDigits.txt</exclude>

<exclude>src/test/resources/org/apache/commons/math3/stat/data/NumAcc3.txt</exclude>

<exclude>src/test/resources/org/apache/commons/math3/stat/data/Lew.txt</exclude>

<exclude>src/test/resources/org/apache/commons/math3/stat/data/NumAcc2.txt</exclude>

<exclude>src/test/resources/org/apache/commons/math3/stat/data/NumAcc1.txt</exclude>

<exclude>src/test/resources/org/apache/commons/math3/stat/data/Lottery.txt</exclude>

<exclude>src/test/resources/org/apache/commons/math3/stat/data/NumAcc4.txt</exclude>

<exclude>src/test/resources/org/apache/commons/math3/stat/data/Michelso.txt</exclude>

<exclude>src/test/resources/org/apache/commons/math3/stat/data/Mavro.txt</exclude>

            <!-- version 0.8 of apache-rat-plugin does not exclude properly
                 some default development tools files (see RAT-126) -->
            <exclude>bin/**</exclude>
            <exclude>.gitignore</exclude>
            <exclude>.git/**</exclude>

          </excludes>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>

This did work when I fixed this, but it doesn't work today (which is
unfortunate because regenerating the site still takes about 5 hours,
despite I have removed some long tests ...).

When I run "mvn clean site", the reports generation displays this:

[INFO] Generating "Distribution Management" report    ---
maven-project-info-reports-plugin:2.6
[INFO] Generating "Surefire Report" report    ---
maven-surefire-report-plugin:2.13
[INFO] Generating "RAT Report" report    --- apache-rat-plugin:0.8
[INFO] No excludes
[INFO] Generating "Clirr" report    --- clirr-maven-plugin:2.5
[INFO] Comparing to version: 3.1.1
[INFO] Generating "JDepend" report    --- jdepend-maven-plugin:2.0-beta-2
[INFO] Generating "Cobertura Test Coverage" report    ---
cobertura-maven-plugin:2.5.2

It seems the excludes I have set up are ignored!

I tried to run the report by itself as follows:
 mvn apache-rat:rat
This time, it worked despite it displayed an error:

[ERROR] VM #displayTree: error : too few arguments to macro. Wanted 2 got 0
[ERROR] VM #menuItem: error : too few arguments to macro. Wanted 1 got 0

The report was regenerated on top of the site, so it went well is not a
showstopper. However, I would like to understand what happens.

Does someone has an idea?

Luc

Re: [math] releasing 3.2, strange problem with apache-rat-plugin

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 3/29/13 7:47 AM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> [...]
> maven-surefire-report-plugin:2.13
> [INFO] Generating "RAT Report" report    --- apache-rat-plugin:0.8
> [INFO] No excludes
> [INFO] Generating "Clirr" report    --- clirr-maven-plugin:2.5
> [INFO] Comparing to version: 3.1.1
> [INFO] Generating "JDepend" report    --- jdepend-maven-plugin:2.0-beta-2
> [INFO] Generating "Cobertura Test Coverage" report    ---
> cobertura-maven-plugin:2.5.2
>
> It seems the excludes I have set up are ignored!
>
> I tried to run the report by itself as follows:
>  mvn apache-rat:rat
> This time, it worked despite it displayed an error:
>
> [ERROR] VM #displayTree: error : too few arguments to macro. Wanted 2 got 0
> [ERROR] VM #menuItem: error : too few arguments to macro. Wanted 1 got 0
>
> The report was regenerated on top of the site, so it went well is not a
> showstopper. However, I would like to understand what happens.

I would say, "laisse tomber" - the RAT report shows what the files
are and this is not a problem, IMO.

Phil