Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/19 11:48:08 UTC

Change freeze on 1.0 branch

Looks like 1.0 is getting pretty close now so can we have a change freeze on
the 1.0 branch to avoid any last minute regressions please - no updates to
it without asking first.

We need an RC4 to fix the missing xquery sample and the ws.zones repo, but
i'd hope RC4 can be the final one. Please continue reviewing RC3 and raising
jira's for any issues you find (and finding fixes for the issues!), and i'll
cut an RC4 late today. Lets try to keep the RC4 vote thread clean - so just
+1/-1 and anything else in a jira. If you do find a serious issue be great
if you could say something like "+1 as long as jira xxx is resolved".

Thanks!

   ...ant

Re: Change freeze on 1.0 branch

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Its a judgement call, i think it would be good to fix some of the glitches
spotted in the reviews but I guess ultimately its anything someone proposes
where they can get at least 3 +1s and more +1s than -1s. I'd say we should
be conservative and keep changes to a minimum just to keep the diff to the
previous release small so its real easy to review and get the release votes
done.

   ...ant

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
+1... makes lot of sense to me

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
[snip]
ant elder wrote:
> Just a reminder there is still a change freeze on the 1.0 branch.
>
> Its still possible we may need to respin for some reason, but how about also
> planning on doing some 1.0.x releases after 1.0 is out? If we keep changes
> in the branch to an absolute minimum it should be easy to do 1.0.x releases
> after all the 1.0 reviewing so we can just show a small diff of 1.0 -
> 1.0.xand review/voting should be painless so we could do
> 1.0.x release every 1 or 2 weeks if necessary. With that in mind how about
> we switch to Review-Then-Commit mode on the branch - so all changes get
> attached as diff to a JIRA and can only be applied to the branch with 3 +1s
> on the ML?
>
>    ...ant

+1 from me to switch to RTC on the branch.

I hope to be able to point people to 1.1 instead of having to do 1.0.x
releases, but that RTC branch may be handy if we need to release small
specific fixes before 1.1.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Change freeze on 1.0 branch

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 9/20/07, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just a reminder there is still a change freeze on the 1.0 branch.
>
> Its still possible we may need to respin for some reason, but how about
> also
> planning on doing some 1.0.x releases after 1.0 is out? If we keep changes
> in the branch to an absolute minimum it should be easy to do 1.0.xreleases
> after all the 1.0 reviewing so we can just show a small diff of 1.0 -
> 1.0.xand review/voting should be painless so we could do
> 1.0.x release every 1 or 2 weeks if necessary. With that in mind how about
> we switch to Review-Then-Commit mode on the branch - so all changes get
> attached as diff to a JIRA and can only be applied to the branch with 3
> +1s
> on the ML?
>
>    ...ant
>
> On 9/19/07, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Looks like 1.0 is getting pretty close now so can we have a change
> freeze
> > on the 1.0 branch to avoid any last minute regressions please - no
> updates
> > to it without asking first.
> >
> > We need an RC4 to fix the missing xquery sample and the ws.zones repo,
> but
> > i'd hope RC4 can be the final one. Please continue reviewing RC3 and
> raising
> > jira's for any issues you find (and finding fixes for the issues!), and
> i'll
> > cut an RC4 late today. Lets try to keep the RC4 vote thread clean - so
> just
> > +1/-1 and anything else in a jira. If you do find a serious issue be
> great
> > if you could say something like "+1 as long as jira xxx is resolved".
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> >    ...ant

+1 Sounds like the right thing to do

Simon

Re: Change freeze on 1.0 branch

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi ant,
  I had a brief sweep through the build code for SCA to see if I could
fix the xquery source distro to see if I could supply a patch with the
JIRA,  but I couldn't see that it was configurable; I guess either I
missed something this is a manual export step.
Regards, Kelvin.