Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by techtonik <te...@users.sourceforge.net> on 2006/11/12 11:55:53 UTC

Eclipse plugin disambiguation

Hello,

Can anybody clarify Eclipse 2 Maven relations? As a person far from
Maven development, I am quite confused about all the stuff around it.
What I would like is to enter some URL as Eclipse update site, install
what is available and compile SVN version of
http://ws.apache.org/xmlrpc/ used it my project

That doesn't work. Seems like I need to install Maven manually and use
it. The history:

Mergere Maven 2.x Plugin
- site http://m2eclipse.codehaus.org/ is outdated. Latest version
listed - 0.0.5, actual 0.0.9.
- broken link for source code -
http://svn.codehaus.org/trunk/?root=m2eclipse (actual is
http://svn.m2eclipse.codehaus.org/)
- bugs, a lot of unresolved bugs - http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNGECLIPSE
- so unable to use https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XMLRPC-123

Maven 2.x Eclipse Plugin
- http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MECLIPSE - just no install link to try

MavenIDE
- http://mevenide.codehaus.org/mevenide-ui-eclipse/faq.html - 404 links
- eclipse update site found lists only Maven 1.0.2
- after installation it was not able to validate pom.xml file from
checkout odhttp://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/xmlrpc/branches/XMLRPC_3_0_BRANCH
Severity and Description	Path	Resource	Location	Creation Time	Id
cvc-complex-type.2.4.a: Invalid content starting with element
'inceptionYear'. One of '{"":organization}' is
expected.	ws-xmlrpc	pom.xml	line 8	1163327720343	18941
cvc-complex-type.2.4.b: The content of element 'mailingList' is not
complete. One of '{"":subscribe}' is expected.	ws-xmlrpc	pom.xml	line
13	1163327720359	18942

I was unable to execute the build in Eclipse - I just do not have
enough experience to say what I need to build the project. Attached
you will find error log for MevenIDE behavior in Eclipse 3.2

--
--t.

Re: Eclipse plugin disambiguation

Posted by Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com>.
MevenIDE's eclipse support is only for Maven 1.x, not Maven 2.x.
There's maven2 support for netbeans there only.
http://mevenide.codehaus.org/m2-site

Milos

Posted by Franz Allan Valencia See <fr...@gmail.com>.
Good day,

Maven 2.x Eclipse Plugin is a Maven plugin which generates eclipse IDE
files (such as .classpath, and .project). Use this one if you prefer
to use maven2 directly and eclipse as and editor only (meaning you
edit via eclipse, but build via maven2 commandline)

Mergere Maven 2.x Plugin (aka m2eclipse) is the Eclipse plugin which
integrates maven2 functionalities with eclipse. MavenIDE (eclipse) is
an Eclipse plugin for maven1. I am not sure though whether there is
now a maven2 support from this.

For m2eclipse vs MavenIDE...im not sure. But what I am sure is that
m2eclipse is designed for maven2. If MavenIDE does not support maven2.
Then go for m2eclipse. But if MavenIDE does support maven2 as well,
try asking around for more opinions or try them out.

You may want to try and ask in [1]  for Maven Eclipse users, or [2]
for Maven-users. You might get better response there since those two
are intended for user support while this one is for maven development.

Cheers,
Franz

[1] http://www.nabble.com/Maven-Eclipse-f14524.html
[2] http://www.nabble.com/Maven---Users-f178.html

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure what problem he is having/why. The plugin page is pretty easy
to follow: http://maven.apache.org/eclipse-plugin.html

Add http://m2eclipse.codehaus.org/ to your eclipse update manager and you're
done. (besides the fact that you also need to install maven2 , which may be
the part he is missing... :/ )

> [...]
> >> branches/XMLRPC_3_0_BRANCH
> >> Severity and Description        Path    Resource
> >> Location        Creation Time   Id
> >> cvc-complex-type.2.4.a: Invalid content starting with element
> >> 'inceptionYear'. One of '{"":organization}' is
> >> expected.       ws-xmlrpc       pom.xml line 8  1163327720343   18941
> >> cvc-complex-type.2.4.b: The content of element 'mailingList' is not
> >> complete. One of '{"":subscribe}' is expected.  ws-xmlrpc
> >> pom.xml line
> >> 13      1163327720359   18942
> >>
> >> I was unable to execute the build in Eclipse - I just do not have
> >> enough experience to say what I need to build the project. Attached
> >> you will find error log for MevenIDE behavior in Eclipse 3.2
> >>

> >> --
> >> --t.

> "[…]  my biggest problem is finding out how to do things."

Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo/(and a dash of TestNG), team member/developer

Re: Eclipse plugin disambiguation

Posted by "ir. ing. Jan Dockx" <ja...@mac.com>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.