Posted to dev@phoenix.apache.org by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/17 21:39:42 UTC

Assemblies and tgz's

Quick question:

Why do we package up our dependencies in the TGZ? There's no Phoenix
executable, just a fat jar for the RS and a fat client jar for
applications. Why bother with lib and all this business?

If we are trying to package up all our dependencies in the tgz, our current
means are inadequate. A little shell gymnastics*** with mvn dependency:list
shows me 201 total transitive dependencies for Phoenix, of which we only
package 38.

So why bother?

Thanks,
Nick

***
$ mvn dependency:list | egrep '\[INFO\]    \w+' | grep compile | cut -d:
-f1-3 | sort | uniq | wc -l
     201

Re: Assemblies and tgz's

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Right, and in that regard see the reply I just sent :-) Mails crossed in
transit.

Re: Assemblies and tgz's

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.

Re: Assemblies and tgz's

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
What we do is set up version independent symlinks for reference from
elsewhere for installing the server jar or finding the client jar for JDBC (
https://github.com/apache/bigtop/blob/master/bigtop-packages/src/common/phoenix/install_phoenix.sh)
. We also replace dependency jars in the Phoenix lib/ with symlinks (
https://github.com/apache/bigtop/blob/master/bigtop-packages/src/rpm/phoenix/SPECS/phoenix.spec)
but this part can go away if the Phoenix lib/ goes away. An open question
is what to do with the Phoenix binscripts. We don't do anything with them
but I think launching sqlline etc. out of where Phoenix is installed will
accidentally work. Keep these or remove them?

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)