Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by mm...@unmc.edu on 2005/01/27 17:42:15 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_rewrite

We are currently using apache mod_rewrite to solve the trailing slash
problem which works fine but now we have a different problem.

We use the following rule:  RewriteRule ^foo$   foo/ [R]

We have three webservers running behind a load balancer.  On each
webserver there are two virtual hosts running on different ports.

Vhost 1 = www.unmc.edu running on port 80
Vhost 2 = www.citymatch.org on port 8009

Since we are using mod_rewrite to add a trailing slash the following
problem occurs:

1. The user requests the following url from their webbrowser:
http://www.citymatch.org/Conference2005

2.  This url is passed to mod_rewrite because it is missing the trialing
slash.

3.  mod_rewrite returns the url as
http://www.citymatch.org:8009/Conference/

4.  Since we are using the [R] and external redirect is used.

5.  The request gets to the firewall and the fire wall won't allow port
8009 and nor will the loadbalancer.

I realize I could just open these ports up but that would not make us
secure as we could be and that is always the goal.

Is there a way to tell mod_rewrite not to add a port to the newly
constructed url or tell it to use just the fully qualified name?

Is it apache that adds the port number to the url?

Mitchell S. McKenzie
Programmer
Learning Environment & Internet Services
University of Nebraska Medical Center
Phone: 402-559-9306
Cell Phone: 402-708-1493

University of Nebraska Medical Center E-mail Confidentiality Disclaimer :
The information in this e-mail is privileged and confidential, intended
only for the use of the addressee(s) above.
Any unauthorized use or disclosure of this information is prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail by mistake please delete it and
immediately contact the sender.