Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Shigekuni Kondo <ko...@lab.ntt.co.jp> on 2011/02/03 12:09:37 UTC

Some HTTP Bundles cannot be started on JVM 1.4

Dear Felix Experts,

I would like to run Felix OSGi framework and bundles
on JVM 1.4 or CDC FP1.1.

However, following bundles cannot be started on JVM 1.4
because "java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError" is occurred.
It seems that the bundles are compiled to be compatible with JAVA 5.

Apache Felix Http Jetty       (Version 2.0.4)
Apache Felix Http Bundle      (Version 2.0.4)
Apache Felix Http Bridge      (Version 2.0.4)
Apache Felix Http Whiteboard  (Version 2.0.4)

-----
ERROR: Error starting file:./bundles/org.apache.felix.http.bundle-2.0.4.jar (org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Activator start error in bundle org.apache.felix.http.bundle [20].)
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/apache/felix/http/bundle/internal/CombinedActivator (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
-----

[Question]
1. Are the bundles implemented to be compatible with only
JVM 1.5 or JVM 1.6?

2. If the answer of 1 is "NO", I will compile them to be
compatible with JVM 1.4 on Maven. However, I cannot find
the setting file for maven compiler plugin in felix trunk.
(In fact, I don't know how to.)
Could you please inform me the procedure? I use Maven 3.0.1.

Best regards,

Shigekuni Kondo

  Shigekuni Kondo

  Promotion Project 1
  NTT Cyber Solutions Laboratories

  1-1 Hikarinooka Yokosuka
  Kanagawa 239-0847 Japan
  TEL:+81-46-859-3444
  FAX:+81-46-855-1282
  E-mail:kondo.shigekuni@lab.ntt.co.jp

Re[2]: Some HTTP Bundles cannot be started on JVM 1.4

Posted by Shigekuni Kondo <ko...@lab.ntt.co.jp>.
Hi Felix,

Thank you very much for your helpful answer.

> The bundles use generics and I would even assume Java 5 API. So yes,
> these bundles only work with 1.5 and newer.
Oh, is that right... I got it.

> The compiler setting is the parent pom of the http bundles inside
> trunk/http. You might want to change the target setting to the largely
> undocumented jsr14 setting, which generates Java 1.4 class files while
> still supporting Java 5 syntax if at all possible.
I could find it. Thanks!

> Of course you still have the problems with used Java 5 API.
> In addition, for the Jetty case: I am not sure whether the included
> Jetty 6 runs on pre-Java 5 platforms.
Thank you for the information.
Anyway I will try.

Best regards,

Shigekuni Kondo

Re: Some HTTP Bundles cannot be started on JVM 1.4

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi,