Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Holscher, David M" <Da...@NAV-INTERNATIONAL.com> on 2001/08/06 23:00:52 UTC

Moving /WEB-INF/lib or adding to it in TC 4.0

I've waded through a lot of source now and can't figure out how point the
/WEB-INF/lib directory for my web application somewhere else or at least add
another directory for jar files. This is a useful thing in my current
development environment where I need jar files in two places. Changing where
the /WEB-INF/lib directory is avoids synchronization issues.

_______________________
David Holscher
"It is a painful thing to look at your own trouble and know that you
yourself and no one else has made it." - Sophocles, Ajax, c. 450 B.C.

Re: Moving /WEB-INF/lib or adding to it in TC 4.0

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Holscher, David M wrote:

> I've waded through a lot of source now and can't figure out how point the
> /WEB-INF/lib directory for my web application somewhere else or at least add
> another directory for jar files. This is a useful thing in my current
> development environment where I need jar files in two places. Changing where
> the /WEB-INF/lib directory is avoids synchronization issues.

The way that the WEB-INF/lib directory works (and where it is relative to
the document root) is required by the servlet specification, and cannot be
changed.  It's a key requirement for self-contained web applications that
are portable across containers.

Most servlet containers provide a mechanism to support additional JAR
files that are visible to web apps.  For Tomcat 4, that mechanism is the
$CATALINA_HOME/lib directory -- all JAR files placed here are
automatically made visible to all web applications.

> David Holscher

Craig McClanahan