Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rajani Karuturi <ra...@apache.org> on 2016/06/14 08:55:50 UTC

4.9+ release

4.10 or 5.0?

We are in the 4.* release cycle from a long time.
Just wanted to check if anyone is planning on major changes which warrants
5.0

~Rajani

Re: 4.9+ release

Posted by Raja Pullela <ra...@accelerite.com>.
Hi,

As we are planning/discussing the releases, any plan around the PRs in Open state? - there are about 147 in Open state and oldest of these goes back to Jun 2015.
1) Can we look at giving extra time to committers to push these PRs ?
2) Can we make exception to committing Test PRs even if the branch is locked such that we can get better coverage/passrate and help the CI Runs? Also, as you know, the test code does not impact anything on the product feature/functionality.

best,
Raja
Senior Manager, Product Development
Accelerite, www.accelerite.com, @Accelerite
2055, Laurelwood Rd, Santa Clara, CA, 95054
Phone: 1-408-216-7010

> On Jun 17, 2016, at 11:04 AM, Rajani Karuturi <ra...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 8:20 AM, John Burwell <jo...@shapeblue.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Rajani,
>>
>> By the rules of semantic versioning (which we follow), incrementing the
>> major version should only occur if there there is a change that breaks
>> backwards compatibility of the API, removes support for a integrated
>> component, or otherwise reduces/removes existing functionality.
>

> my question was to check if anyone is working on such a change. Based on
> the replies, I think its a NO.
>

>> Assuming we targeting late August 2016 for the next release, it is a bit
>> short notice to introduce such changes.  Therefore, the next release should
>> be 4.10.
>>
> My opinions is, its never too late. Since no one is working on any such
> feature, we need not get into that discussion now.
>

>> I have opened a discussion to determine if/when we should have a 5.0.0
>> release in order to provide developers and users with sufficient notice for
>> such significant changes.
>>
> The challenge is to find out who is doing the hard work for such features.
>
> Thanks,
> Rajani
>

>> Thanks,
>> -John
>>

>> john.burwell@shapeblue.com
>> www.shapeblue.com
>> 53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London VA WC2N 4HSUK
>> @shapeblue
>>

>> On Jun 15, 2016, at 5:31 AM, Rajani Karuturi <ra...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I like this discussion. But, my original question was not about what
>> should
>>> the next release number be?
>>>
>>> i was checking if anyone working on anything big and hence want the next
>>> release to be 5.0?
>>>
>>> ~Rajani
>>>
>>> <http://cloudplatform.accelerite.com/>

>> ideas

>> will
>> release

>> would

>> simplified
>> The
>> user
>> have

>> release

DISCLAIMER
==========
This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the property of Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business. It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute or use this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

Re: 4.9+ release

Posted by Rajani Karuturi <ra...@apache.org>.

Re: 4.9+ release

Posted by John Burwell <jo...@shapeblue.com>.
Rajani,

By the rules of semantic versioning (which we follow), incrementing the major version should only occur if there there is a change that breaks backwards compatibility of the API, removes support for a integrated component, or otherwise reduces/removes existing functionality.  Assuming we targeting late August 2016 for the next release, it is a bit short notice to introduce such changes.  Therefore, the next release should be 4.10.

Re: 4.9+ release

Posted by John Burwell <jo...@shapeblue.com>.
Marco,

As I said in the 5.0.0 thread, I believe that we need to look upon architectural improvement as a continuous process.  We have been stymied for years around an analysis paralysis that holds that we must address architectural issue in 5.0.0.  I believe that we need to start with remove a significant amount of technical debt and cruft in 5.0.0 which will lay the foundation for larger architectural improvements later in 2017.

Re: 4.9+ release

Posted by "marco@exoscale.ch" <ma...@exoscale.ch>.
Hi,

From my CS starter point of view, I agree with John's comment. I would really like to see the next major version with a code & architecture clean-up, especially producing a code architecture in the direction of the Java9 Jigsaw modularity. It would be sad not to take the next specifications into account.

Re: 4.9+ release

Posted by Rajani Karuturi <ra...@apache.org>.

Re: 4.9+ release

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: 4.9+ release

Posted by ilya <il...@gmail.com>.

Re: 4.9+ release

Posted by John Burwell <jo...@shapeblue.com>.
All,

RE: 4.9+ release

--
Daan

Re: 4.9+ release

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: 4.9+ release

Posted by Will Stevens <ws...@cloudops.com>.

Re: 4.9+ release

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: 4.9+ release

Posted by Will Stevens <wi...@gmail.com>.
+1. :)

Re: 4.9+ release

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
+1 what Wido said

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: 4.9+ release

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
+1 to what Wido said.

I think we should not be incrementing the major version unless we're breaking compatibility, introducing major UI/API/db changes.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com