Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Davor Hrg <hr...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/24 17:37:05 UTC

Live class reloading very slow

Hi,

I may be wrong but since T5  5.2+
live class reloading is much slower.

I remember it being faster before ....
for a page with maybe 10-20 components
reload lasts for 5-10 seconds.

it becomes worse with each component added.

This is far from productive and far from advertised by the framework.
It feels like going back to stone age of JSP and restarting whole server for
simple change.

We have been using tapestry since the beginning of T5, and a bit T4,
I could swear it was not this horribly slow before.

Another thing is the new handling of variables and page pool.
it is awful for debugging... is there a switch to use old page pool ?

Davor Hrg

Re: Live class reloading very slow

Posted by Richard Hill <ri...@su3analytics.com>.
Tomcat or Jetty? I forget why (perhaps I can dig out the details) but I
found class reloading on Tomcat was very slow - so I switched to Jetty
which is essentially instantaneous - very quick.

Posted by Bryan Lewis <jb...@gmail.com>.
Maybe you did the same thing I did?
http://tapestry.1045711.n5.nabble.com/slow-page-reload-td4287502.html

Posted by Joel Halbert <jo...@su3analytics.com>.
Hi Davor,

Have you tried running Jetty standalone, out of eclipse?

This is what we do. I'm not sure it has anything to do with your problem
but it might be worth a try.

It's only a few lines of code to write a simple Jetty server launcher as
you can see http://pastebin.com/WsEFi2yh

Just write a simple script to run for this class and even though you'll
be using Jetty outside of eclipse you can still make code changes in
eclipse and it will reload them dynamically (as long as you set your
classpath for the jetty startup script correctly).

- J

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
You don't have to copy the templates anywhere. It still may not
explain why class reloading is slow for you, but file IO is fairly
expensive and thus should be avoided.

Kalle

Posted by Davor Hrg <hr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Bryan Lewis <jb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Hill <ri...@su3analytics.com>.
Honestly, we have a pretty complex app: multiple zones, lots of and
nested components, loads of injected assets, services etc and it reloads
faster than I can hit F5.

Posted by Davor Hrg <hr...@gmail.com>.
I've updated run-jetty,

Posted by Joel Halbert <jo...@su3analytics.com>.