Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by Mike Beckerle <mb...@apache.org> on 2022/03/16 23:49:58 UTC

DFDL schema compilation is *way* too slow now

Owl has a DFDL schema for a moderate size subset of the VMF data standard.

It takes well over a minute to compile it to a saved binary file. This on a
fast PC with 64Gigs of RAM.

This is really excessive. Something has to be going wrong algorithmically.
I think this is not enough to hold up the 3.3.0 release, but it is
something we simply have to address soon, as people are now writing large
DFDL schemas for specs like all of VMF, all of LInk16, etc. and for
compilation to be many minutes long (as it will be for these), makes the
whole development process for DFDL schemas untenable.