Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com> on 2016/02/12 21:42:33 UTC

[VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.5.0 RC1

Please vote for the RC1 release candidate for Lucene/Solr 5.5.0, the
last feature release before Lucene 6.0.0 and the first Lucene/Solr
release since we switched from Subversion to git!

Artifacts:

  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.5.0-RC1-rev4c7c1d3c58d2398de4cc651025a32125afe7adbc

Smoke tester:

  python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-5.5.0-RC1-rev4c7c1d3c58d2398de4cc651025a32125afe7adbc

I'm +1 based on my smoke tester run:

  SUCCESS! [0:32:15.933875]

And I also ran all our 2B monster tests successfully with 40 GB heap.

Please remember a release is not the time to shove last minute changes
in.  Instead, shove those changes in immediately after the release so
CI has plenty of time to chew on them.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.5.0 RC1

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 9:49 AM, Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> As you respin, we should get all those changes in?

Yes, LUCENE-7027 and the Steve's smoke tester fixes and some more
SOLR-8621 pushes.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Am 13. Februar 2016 15:48:31 MEZ, schrieb Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>:
>On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 7:13 PM, Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Looking at the original source code I can see what’s happening: the
>code looks for a lucene_solr_X_Y branch in Subversion corresponding to
>the version being tested, and if it doesn’t find one (which it of
>course won’t now that svn doesn’t host the project anymore), it falls
>back to using the POM templates in the local checkout, rather than
>attempting to crawl them from the svn server.
>>
>> So the check that there is a binary maven artifact for every pom
>template was still occurring, but depended for correctness on the
>person running the smoke tester doing so from the release branch.
>>
>> This is why the Jenkins smoke test runs have been succeeding since
>the svn->git switch.
>>
>> I *think* the current approach should make the
>fallback-to-local-checkout thing unnecessary - since I removed it with
>the pull-from-Solr-source-distribution change, we’ll see the next time
>jenkins-nightly-smoke runs.
>
>Phew, thanks for getting to the bottom of the unexpected leniency
>Steve!
>
>Mike McCandless
>
>http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, 28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.5.0 RC1

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 5.5.0 RC1

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 3:44 PM, Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Mike, how did the smoke tester’s maven checks succeed?

> On Feb 12, 2016, at 12:57 PM, Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
>
> I was wondering the same thing, but somehow it did?  Maybe it pulled
> from my local .m2?  This is something annoying about maven ;)

No, I’m fairly confident that’s not it - the failing operation uses Python code to crawl the ASF Subversion server’s web interface, no Maven involved.  I ran the smoke tester (excluding my LUCENE-7024 changes) against your release, and it succeeded for me too :(.  Adding some debug printing to see what’s going on now.

> Anyway, I don't think we need to block 5.5.0 release on fixing the
> smoke tester's maven checking capabilities?
>
> But we should still fix it…

I agree.  I committed a fix to branch_5_5 under LUCENE-7024*.  The smoke tester with that change succeeded for me against your RC1.  (I’m doing some more checks before I vote.)

* I typo’d the issue number in the log message, so I have to go manually add a comment for it to the issue.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
OMG, schema version increased! That should be interesting. Also, the
default JSON end-point semantics changed. Everybody is better read
those change notes vary carefully for the update.

On a more serious note. There seem to be some formatting issue with
Solr's release notes in the point 5 of upgrade section (mergePolicy
change). The example of before and after is all jumbled, I feel.

Also, is it worth expanding AIOOBE into the actual exception (two
issues) for those trying to find this change with Google later?

And I am still worried about the impact of SOLR-8131 (everything is
managed schema), as the documentation inside the file will now
disappear after the first run.

Regards,
   Alex.
----
http://www.solr-start.com/

On 13 February 2016 at 07:42, Michael McCandless

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
This VOTE is now cancelled: I'm going to respin the RC to fold in the
fix for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7027

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 3:42 PM, Michael McCandless