Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Tony_CA <to...@yahoo.ca> on 2014/01/17 00:24:19 UTC

multiple brokers and Failover for ActiveMQ questions

Hi there,

I have a couple of questions regarding ActiveMQ.

1. On my environment, I set up 3 ActiveMQ in 3 servers and share one
Database. Is it possible to run the 3 ActiveMQ in the 3 servers to share the
same database? I tried to set it up. However, it looks like 3 brokers cannot
share the same database. Is it correct?
2. Also, I did some Failover testing, it looks like the ActiveMQ cannot
guarantee the message order. e.g. I set up the 3 ActiveMQ into
ServerA,ServerB and ServerC. And then, I published MessageA,MessageB into
ServerA and published MessageC into ServerB. The ServerA ServerB and ServerC
had been set up as Failover servers. When I shut down ServerA, the only
MessageC can be consumed. However, the consumed message order should be
MessageA,MessageB and MessageC. I need to keep this message order even
through the ServerA is down. Is it possible to configure ActiveMQ to
guarantee the message order for Failover?

Thank you!

Re: multiple brokers and Failover for ActiveMQ questions

Posted by artnaseef <ar...@artnaseef.com>.
Three brokers cannot safely share the same database.  If using kahadb or
leveldb, one broker will lock the DB and the others will wait indefinitely
for the lock.

Ordering of messages delivered by multiple producers is not guaranteed.
Only the ordering from a single producer is guaranteed.  I think there are
solutions to that, so hopefully someone else here can point you toward
those.

One way I can suggest to solve the problem is to use camel and a
resequencer.