Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Parashuram N <pa...@microsoft.com> on 2016/02/15 18:36:03 UTC

[DISCUSS] Update to starter template

While working on documentation about events for Cordova, we noticed that in our Cordova starter template [1] seems to suggest that we bind events like “offline” and “online” alongside the “deviceready” event. As I understand, the “offline” and “online” events are something that the NetworkInformation plugin provides, and thus should only be bound after cordova-js has been initialized.
Here [2] is a change where we only bind “deviceready” first, and then recommend binding all events when the handler for “deviceready” is called.
Do you folks think this is a good change ? Here [3] is the JIRA for it.

[1] Cordova Started template -  https://github.com/apache/cordova-app-hello-world/
[2] Pull request with change to starter template - https://github.com/apache/cordova-app-hello-world/pull/15/files
[3] JIRA for PR with change to starter template - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-10522

Re: [DISCUSS] Update to starter template

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.
Big plus one to Jesse's comment. I've felt like the template is too
over complex for quite some time.

Posted by Parashuram N <pa...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
Personally, I think we should rewrite/simplify that template ALOT.
The app binding stuff is confusing to users, but not potentially any less
confusing with PR#15. The use of an object is the issue in my mind.

Also, if this is the starting point for a new developer, they will soon
wonder why everything they add to the page is UPPERCASE, part of the css,
but potentially confusing.

Ultimately, I think the whole starting point is over-organized with it's
multiple folders.  PR#5 is closer to the goal I think, although I would
still leave js in an external file, and not directly in index.html and I
would leave quotes on html tag attributes.

@purplecabbage
risingj.com

Posted by Tommy Williams <to...@devgeeks.org>.
+1 for the template change

LGTM

This conversation made it sound like this was going to suggest binding offline/online etc in deviceready. Glad to see that's not the case in the template at least.

I would discourage teaching people that they need to wait for Cordova’s deviceready before binding vanilla JavaScript events.

- tommy

Posted by Parashuram N <pa...@microsoft.com>.
Will do.

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.