Posted to dev@skywalking.apache.org by 刘 嘉鹏 <Ev...@outlook.com> on 2020/11/20 14:02:35 UTC

The design of the Skywlking Satellite

Hi all:

We are about to set up a new subproject which is called Satellite.It is a lightweight collector/sidecar could be deployed closing to the target monitored system, to collect metrics, traces, and logs. Also, it provides advanced features, such as local cache, format transform, sampling.

If you are interested, please join the discussion.
The doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RB5EXyX9k63QabSpaWLZvN5JQ4NoNgGIH1t8LMt6Bys/edit#heading=h.o1c72xcxm0n7

The discussion issue:
https://github.com/apache/skywalking/issues/5871

Jiapeng Liu

Re: The design of the Skywlking Satellite

Posted by 刘 嘉鹏 <Ev...@outlook.com>.
Hi all
https://meeting.tencent.com/s/UVDuHxyYUmrc we would have an online discussion on 2020-11-23 15:00(+8:00). Thx for joining it.
Jiapeng Liu

2020年11月20日 22:02,刘 嘉鹏 <Ev...@outlook.com>> 写道:

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.
Nice work. I cc to apisix’s dev ML

刘 嘉鹏 <Ev...@outlook.com>于2020年11月20日 周五下午10:02写道:

> Hi all:
>
> We are about to set up a new subproject which is called Satellite.It is a
> lightweight collector/sidecar could be deployed closing to the target
> monitored system, to collect metrics, traces, and logs. Also, it provides
> advanced features, such as local cache, format transform, sampling.
>
> If you are interested, please join the discussion.
> The doc:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RB5EXyX9k63QabSpaWLZvN5JQ4NoNgGIH1t8LMt6Bys/edit#heading=h.o1c72xcxm0n7
>
> The discussion issue:
> https://github.com/apache/skywalking/issues/5871
>
> Jiapeng Liu

Ming Wen, Apache APISIX PMC Chair
Twitter: _WenMing

Re: The design of the Skywlking Satellite

Posted by Hongtao Gao <ha...@apache.org>.
Good work, and a brilliant design. From my perspective, an online meeting
seems necessary since the satellite is not a tiny system from the doc.

regards, Hongtao.

Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> 于2020年11月20日周五 下午10:31写道:

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 刘 嘉鹏 <Ev...@outlook.com>.
HI,all:

Based the new  LightWeight Design. we would have an online discussion on 2020-11-25 15:00(+8:00). Thx for joining it.
Satellite Meeting: https://meeting.tencent.com/s/SGe0rVkqvOR0

JIapeng Liu
2020年11月24日 17:52,Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>> 写道:

Thanks for the update.

I have submitted the comments. If another online meeting is preferred,
please let me know.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

刘 嘉鹏 <Ev...@outlook.com>> 于2020年11月24日周二 下午4:58写道:

Hi all:

Based on yesterday's discussion,  Skywalking dev team brings up many
questions.

Questions & Discussion:

 1.  How to support the http receiver?
 2.  What are the strategies for file creation and deletion?
 3.  What is the detail of the committed offset?
 4.  Put the offsets of the batch data into FlyingChannel rather than a
copy.
 5.  SLO of the resources.
 6.  How about reusing files in Queue?
 7.  Daemonset Or Sidecar ?
 8.  Whether indexing files will cost more resources?

The core point of contention lies in the complex design and too much
resource consumption. So we simplified the structure and did some tests on
resources cost.
The new doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14iy7x_vh5OTkpwCBgqaBXMz6LWDCksJO38KJ-KF4KxY/edit#
The issue is not changed. https://github.com/apache/skywalking/issues/5871

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the update.

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Jiapeng

I have cc'ed to APISIX and ShardingSphere mail list, as both of you are
working on the SkyWalking integration from different points, this would be
helpful for your end-users.
Welcome you to join this sub project.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108