Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/03 15:39:57 UTC

Re: Next Release

On Apr 2, 2013, at 750AM, Peter Firmstone wrote:

> On 2/04/2013 7:51 PM, Dennis Reedy wrote:
>> On Apr 2, 2013, at 338AM, Peter Firmstone wrote:
>>
>>> The formatting didn't work out, I'll create a Jira issue to discuss.
>>>
>>> Patricia's done a great job detailing the dependencies and issues with TaskManager's Task implementations.
>>>
>>> I recall a list discussion from the original Sun developers who had intended to replace TaskManager, the runAfter method has issues.
>>>
>>> Being so prevalent, it's quite possible that TaskManager is causing issues and it might also explain why as performance improves more issues arise.
>>>
>>> If a task completes before another task which it's supposed to runAfter but isn't present in the queue; that could explain some issues.
>>>
>>> I much prefer idempotent code myself.
>>>
>>> This could take some effort to fix, any volunteers?
>>>
>>> Dennis are you able to continue with your 2.2.1 branch release?
>> At this point I am unsure what branch to base the 2.2.1 release off of.
>
> The 2.2.0 release, it might benefit from backports of synchronization fixes that improve correctness, but not performance, if some volunteers can diff the qa-refactoring branch and the 2.2.0 branch, there are numerous simple synchronization fixes.

I'd like to suggest we release from qa-trunk. With all the work thats been going on here, I dont see back porting it to the 2.2 branch is meaningful. The delta is just too much.

Re: Next steps after 2.2.1 release

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@gmail.com>.
Peter,

I shall remind you of your statement elsewhere about behaviour in public.
Dude, I know you're a much better person that the below suggests.

Perhaps you wrote it in anger or frustration or fatigue or some
combination. Nevertheless it doesn't come off well and would point at you
needing to do just as much development of leadership skills as you assert
is required for Greg.

Trust has to be earned just as much as granted. It starts from respect and
quality dialogue.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
On 4/7/2013 5:03 PM, Greg Trasuk wrote:
> I'm honestly and truly not passing judgement on the quality of the
> code.  I honestly don't know if it's good or bad.  I have to confess
> that, given that Jini was written as a top-level project at Sun,
> sponsored by Bill Joy, when Sun was at the top of its game, and the Jini
> project team was a "who's-who" of distributed computing pioneers, the
> idea that it's riddled with concurrency bugs surprises me.  But mainly,
> I'm still trying to answer that question - "How do I know if it's good?"

I don't know whether it has concurrency bugs, and that is a problem in
its own right. The theory of why does not suffer from concurrency
problems is nowhere near clear.

I have no faith in the infallibility of Sun developers, because I used
to be one. Some of them were very, very smart, but those were not
necessarily the ones writing every line of code. The issue is not the
distributed system design, but details of coding that may be leading to
local concurrency problems within a program.

I am a little worried that my doubts about RetryTask may lead to over
focus on that issue. It should be considered as a candidate, but I was
never able to become certain there was a bug involving it. If I had, I
would have created an issue for it and fixed it.

Patricia

Re: Next steps after 2.2.1 release

Posted by Peter <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
On 4/11/2013 4:15 AM, Peter Firmstone wrote:
> I know some would prefer me to prove something is broken before fixing
> it, providing tests that prove the failure, but this isn't an enterprise
> project and I lack the resources for such things, there's always the
> option of running a 2.2 maintenance branch for those who'd like to wait
> longer before upgrading.

I'm still trying to remember/find a place where there seemed to me to be
a possible race condition.

Back when I was actively working on this, I considered trying to set up
a test, and all I could think of was to put a moderately long
Thread.sleep() call in the code where I thought there was a window. I
was not able to produce a failing test.

Patricia

Re: Next steps after 2.2.1 release

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Gregg,

Thanks again for your support.

I refactored LookupDiscovery and tidied up LookupLocatorDiscovery.

If you get some time, I could use a hand with other classes you've
already fixed.

I'm working on MailboxImpl presently, there's some very dubious code,
Threads being started from inside their constructors, called from static
init methods from within MailboxImpl's constructor.

Posted by Gregg Wonderly <ge...@cox.net>.

Posted by Peter <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Thanks Gregg,

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.
I'm not sure where I stand with regards to votes and what-not anymore, but
here's my opinion.  I think it's wise to do a quick release with the
minimum of changes in Right Now.  Particularly if those changes includes
the JDK7 fix.  Releasing as many changes as there are without more
consideration just feels too risky.  The greater need right now is to get
the bare minimum release out asap to fix some real-life issues.

That's not a comment on what I think the quality of all the trunk changes
are, it's just my gut feel.

To counter some of Greg's comments, if we trusted the old tests for
previous releases, then digging our way out of the hole is not hugely
difficult.  We just run the old tests against the new code to verify the
new code.  Then we run the new tests against an old release.  There will be
some additional due diligence needed to tie up loose ends and un-grey some
areas, but I think we can then have a good degree of confidence in both the
new tests and new code.

When that's done, I would suggest that it sounds like another release would
be due.  Then the source tree can be straightened out with the right bits
merged to the right branches and the right branches being created for the
right work streams.

I don't think that there is much value in debating the motives people have
had for the code they've written/changed.  As has been said before, we've
all got our own itches to scratch.  If there is a technical reason for
blocking some change then fine, but I don't believe that a lack of
benchmarks detailing some pain point is a reason to throw it out.
 Questioning the Why is often useful because it can aid a discussion and
guide us to what the real What should be, but I'm not sure that it will in
the case - then again, I've been wrong before...  So I think that it is a
good approach to modify the code so it follows the advice given in what
many would consider the "Concurrency Bible" - even if I can't prove that
the previous implementation was flawed in some way.

Dan has mentioned the policy (or lack of) with regards to what gets put
onto trunk and that is something that should really be discussed.  So some
questions;

- Is there a policy?
- Was it the right policy?
- Did we stick to the policy?
- What is a better policy?

Then everything else from Maven, to separate builds, to TaskManager
replacements (or not), to whatever else should just slot into place.

Lastly, I'm glad that the conversation has calmed down.  Thanks to both
Greg for not biting and Peter for responding in kind.  Your reactions to
what could have become a nasty situation speaks volumes to both of your
characters and that's A Good Thing.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>.

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.

Posted by Peter <ji...@zeus.net.au>.

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@trasuk.com>.
[...]

While we're separating out the services, it might also be a decent time to implement Maven-based builds if we think that's a good idea.  I'd start with Reggie.  It would also be a good time to get rid of the "com.sun.jini" packages.

Re: Next Release

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@trasuk.com>.
The "2.2" branch is very clean.  It starts from release in 2011. Since then, Dennis applied RIVER-417, added poms for listing at Maven Central, and applied the Levels fix.  I've applied RIVER-149, and that's it.

A few days ago, I set out to see what else from the trunk should be rolled in for a "minimal" release.  In particular, I wanted to include the fix for RIVER-149 which I did a while ago, because it fixes a problem with the container work I've been doing separately.  But I also figured we might want to include non-controversial fixes.

Before then, I did a 'svn diff', but it appears that the vast majority of files have at least cosmetic changes (may be tabs or something), because I got just about every file in the repository.

See below for the list of changes that svn says have been applied to the trunk since the release.  I started going through all the revisions to see what they were, by doing 'svn diff ../trunk -c XXX' where x is the revision number (perhaps there's a non-manual way to do this).   As you can see, I didn't get too far before I started thinking that we'd better do some strategic thinking.  So I just merged in:

 r1211940 - RIVER-149 Fixes
r1140819 - Update build documentation.

Back to the changes in trunk…

To see what's gone on since 2.2.0, run the following:

	svn log https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/river/jtsk/trunk -r 1137621:HEAD

I want to be very careful here because I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing anyone.  I know that Peter, especially, has done a lot of work on the code.

Having said that, as an observation and not a value judgement, I have to say that I'm not confident about the state of the trunk.  There have been too many changes since a release, both to the main code and the test code.  There are radical changes to the security policy provider (for perceived concurrency issues and also for revokable grants, I think).  Much cleaning, deleting, reorganizing.  Many alterations suggested by FindBugs.  Replacement of string concatenation by StringBuilder.  Something about reference collections, which adds a jar file that I can find no information on.  Additions of 'dnsjava name service provider'.  Changes to tests that fail because of a ConcurrentPolicyProvider.  Changes to PreferredClassLoader to supposedly improve concurrency.  More changes to tests.  Adding generics.  Many changes to tests to fix test failures.

A lot of the changes look to me, like thrashing on problems.  Now I realize that chasing concurrency bugs can be a long game of "whack-a-mole", but I see a lot of uncertainty and thrashing at solution attempts.  And I don't recall anyone reporting concurrency problems in the field.  And the first set of changes in there is a hell-of-a-long list of "incremental merge of concurrent policy items".

Short answer - for now I think we ought to test and release "2.2.1" from the "2.2" branch.  This branch includes the Level fixes and RIVER-149 fix and not much else.  It fixes the immediate problem that users have reported, the system doesn't run with JDK7.

List of longer-term reccommendations  to follow.  This message is already in tl;dr territory.

Cheers,

Greg

Changes to the trunk since 2.2.0
=========================
N r1128239 Added rat_reports.sh.  Superseded
Y r1140819 Updated minimum Java version in build.html
Y r1211940 Fix RIVER-149
N r1213641 River-265 Fix for unlucky caching as requested. River-401 Changed to utilise URI in place of URL in map's and arrays to avoid unnecessary DNS lookups.
r1213675 RIVER-401 Fix null pointer.  Seems to be related to above.
r1222914 Fix exception cast and reset interrupt status.
Y r1224722 Fix JDK7 compile errors (inner class private field accessibility)
Y r1227948 Commit msg says "RIVER-402 Fix null pointer exception.  Looks like JDK7 inner class private field accessibility stuff.
r1231478 Fix RIVER-403.  DGC Leaks threads.
N r1231673 Reverted common.xml to trunk version.  This is superseded by dreedy's commit on 20130403.
N r1231675 Changed common.xml.  As above.
N r1238468 Changed common.xml. As above.
Y r1241254 Propagate cause of interrupt.  Very minor change to assist service developers during debugging.
r1290906 Prepare for merge 2nd try.  What?
r1290925 Incremental merge of concurrent policy items.
r1290926 Incremental merge of concurrent policy items.
r1290929 Continuing merge of concurrent policy items.
r1290940 Continuing incremental merge.
r1290947 Continuing concurrent policy merge
r1290948 Continuing concurrent policy merge
r1290949 Continuing concurrent policy merge
r1290965 Completion of concurrent policy merge (replace trunk).
r1290982 Minor post-merge changes for above.
r1291177 Removed source/target overrides in javac-cmd in build.xml (JDK7?)
r1291182 Up 5 to 6 in javadoc.source property
r1301927 Cleaning, deleting, reorganizing
r1301929 Cleaning, deleting, reorganizing
r1302036 Cleaning, deleting, reorganizing
r1302083 Cleaning, deleting, reorganizing
r1302114 Deleted failing test, it was no longer relevant, tested Delegate Security Manager functionality, which is now disabled.  Reduced the number of Integer, Long, Float, Char etc objects created, by using valueOf instead of new.  Fixed minor bugs found with FindBugs - some string concatenations in loops outstanding
r1302267 Deleted failing test, it was no longer relevant, tested Delegate Security Manager functionality, which is now disabled.  Reduced the number of Integer, Long, Float, Char etc objects created, by using valueOf instead of new.  Fixed minor bugs found with FindBugs - some string concatenations in loops outstanding
r1302364 Reduced the number of Integer, Long, Float, Char, Short, etc objects created, by using valueOf instead of new.  Replaced string concatenation in loops with StringBuilder.  Fixed some bugs reported by FindBugs.
r1303195 Fixed bug in Reggie, when random number returns Integer.MIN_VALUE, then Maths.abs returns a negative number.  Fixed a classpath issue in the qa suite, caused by separating reference collections.
r1309816 Added missing ASF license header.
r1309818 Updated rat version.
r1332577 Add doap.rdf file
r1337773 Add reference-collections to class path in two qa tests.
r1338673 Session class delayed instantiation in jdk1.6 caused SecurityException because proxy ProtectionDomain was on the stack.  This caused some jtreg tests to fail, small fix, the bug doesn't exist in any releases.
r1344606 Added netbeans onebigjar project.
r1344639 forced default compile options in project.properties (onebigjar)
r1344736 added proper label (onebigjar).
r1355351 Refactoring for release, clean up and decrease size of new public api.  Separated RemotePolicy implementation from DynamicPolicyProvider.  Version numbers and documentation still requires update prior to release.
r1355851 Refactoring for release, clean up and review new public api, sanity check and remove unnecessary methods.  Added dnsjava name service provider to handle reverse dns lookup and to provide concurrent dns lookups.  Updated reference-collections, these were updated to avoid calling hashCode during initialisation of Timed references and temporary referrers, this helped reduced SocketPermission.hashCode calls that caused reverse lookups and recursive permission checks that cause stack overflow in the CombinerSecurityManager.  Two tests are failling due to a change to ConcurrentPolicyFile, now only privileged domains are returned by getPermissions(CodeSource) and all other instances are diverted to the java.security.Policy superclass which returns an empty PermissionCollection this is to avoid checking permissions twice.
r1355852 Refactoring for release, clean up and review new public api, sanity check and remove unnecessary methods.  Added dnsjava name service provider to handle reverse dns lookup and to provide concurrent dns lookups.  Updated reference-collections, these were updated to avoid calling hashCode during initialisation of Timed references and temporary referrers, this helped reduced SocketPermission.hashCode calls that caused reverse lookups and recursive permission checks that cause stack overflow in the CombinerSecurityManager.  Two tests are failling due to a change to ConcurrentPolicyFile, now only privileged domains are returned by getPermissions(CodeSource) and all other instances are diverted to the java.security.Policy superclass which returns an empty PermissionCollection this is to avoid checking permissions twice.
r1358131 Fixed failing junit tests caused by change to ConcurrentPolicyFile.getPermissions(CodeSource) method that now only returns Permissions for privileged CodeSource and delegates up to the super class java.security.Policy if the CodeSource is not privileged.
r1358143 seems to be some (deleted reference-collections.jar)
r1358709 Alter tests that fail due to ConcurrentPolicyFile delegating up to java.security.Policy.getPermissions(CodeSource) when CodeSource is found not to have AllPermission.  Only CodeSources that are privileged have Permissions returned that contains AllPermission. This is an optimisation that complies with java.security.Policy.
r1359548 URI spaces in codebase strings caused problems with Windows platforms - fixed. Removed calls to Thread.yield().
r1360043
r1360396
r1361523
r1361645
r1361646
r1361661
r1361671
r1362432
r1362433
r1362435
r1362452
r1362463
r1362797
r1362940
r1363295
r1363313
r1364250
r1364614
r1366641
r1366657
r1366659
r1367884
r1367889
r1369328
r1369509
r1369512
r1369513
r1369533
r1369538
r1369539
r1369541
r1369570
r1369573
r1369578
r1369666
r1369771
r1370679
r1371049
r1371855
r1373770
r1379716
r1379717
r1379720
r1379725
r1379730
r1379873
r1384715
r1384716
r1384728
r1384729
r1384733
r1384734
r1384740
r1384792
r1384812
r1385061
r1385068
r1385070
r1385072
r1385073
r1385083
r1385085
r1388003
r1389755
r1389763
r1389766
r1389804
r1389823
r1392387
r1393401
r1393420
r1393421
r1393422
r1393979
r1394412
r1394431
r1394432
r1394434
r1394435
r1394437
r1394438
r1395185
r1395234
r1395235
r1396151
r1396153
r1396157
r1396166
r1396173
r1396177
r1396180
r1396183
r1396187
r1396193
r1396198
r1396199
r1396240
r1396251
r1396254
r1396303
r1397599
r1397600
r1397613
r1397824
r1398558
r1398721
r1398725
r1398739
r1398740
r1400681
r1400842
r1400937
r1402752
r1402753
r1402754
r1402755
r1402756
r1402757
r1402758
r1402759
r1402772
r1402959
r1402960
r1402961
r1402989
r1403001
r1404526
r1404527
r1404528
r1404531
r1404901
r1404907
r1404911
r1404913
r1406894
r1406926
r1406927
r1407017
r1407431
r1415845
r1444164
r1444556
r1444557
r1449248
r1455692

Re: Next Release

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Just to clarify:

Dennis & Greg are using the 2.2.0 branch from last release to fix Levels
and release 2.2.1

trunk started failing tests after some unrelated changes exposed
synchronization errors in the qa tests, since then
skunk/qa-refactoring is being used to fix synchronization issues before
merging back with trunk,
trunk is presently unstable.  After the merge, 2.3.0 is scheduled for
release.

Having had some time to think, I'd recommend back-porting JERI from
skunk/qa-refactoring into the 2.2.1 release, as there are some very
important fixes included for issues seen by downstream users.

Regards,

Peter.

Re: Next Release

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next Release

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next Release

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next Release

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@gmail.com>.
We created a "qa-refactoring" branch for concurrency work....mmmm....

Re: Next Release

Posted by Peter <ji...@zeus.net.au>.

Re: Next Release

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 3, 2013, at 120PM, Greg Trasuk wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-04-03 at 12:12, Dennis Reedy wrote:
>> On Apr 3, 2013, at 1115AM, Greg Trasuk wrote:
>>

>>> Did we have a branching policy discussion?
>>
>> I was looking here: http://river.apache.org/development-process.html (scroll down to "Branching Policy")
>>
> Ahh... That makes sense.
>
>>> I recall we decided not to
>>> do too much in the trunk.  In any case, I think your suggestion works,
>>> barring any other opinions.
>>
>> I was going to update the Levels code in the branch. Once we get that branch up to snuff and ready to release I think we tag it 2.2.1
>>
> OK, go ahead and update the Levels code.  I'll run a diff and see if
> there's anything else that should be ported now.

Ok, all set. I also pushed roll_release.sh and common.xml (updated version to 2.2.1)

Dennis

Re: Next Release

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.

Re: Next Release

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next Release

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.
Did we have a branching policy discussion?  I recall we decided not to
do too much in the trunk.  In any case, I think your suggestion works,
barring any other opinions.  I was thinking of creating a "2.2.1" branch
first, and then applying patches to that, but assuming there wasn't
anything big done in the 2.2.0 branch I think it comes to the same
ends.  I was going to do that this afternoon, but if someone were to get
there first I wouldn't complain...

Cheers,

Greg.

Re: Next Release

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next Release

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.
Hi Dennis:

I think the suggestion was that we do a release branched off the 2.2.0
release with a bare set of patches moved over - primarily the Logging
fix and I think there was a change to one of the JRMP context classes
that I needed for the Surrogate container.  And then a release from the
qa_refactor branch a little bit later.

Personally I'd like to see some kind of release sooner rather than
later.  It's been a while.  I'll act as RM for a minimal release if we
can agree on doing that.

I'm planning on having a few cycles this afternoon to take a look at a
diff and see what-all changed, and if there was anything else that
should go into a minimal release.

Cheers,

Greg.