Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Gietka - NOAA Federal <da...@noaa.gov> on 2015/12/23 20:33:39 UTC

Startup issue with security manager enabled on Tomcat 7.0.65 or later

Hello Tomcat list users,
I am hoping someone on this list may have insight into a problem we are
having running the latest version of tomcat 7.

Our site currently runs Tomcat 7.0.64.  We start Tomcat with the security
manager enabled ($CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh -security ).  We are running
Java version 1.8.0_66.  When we have tried to upgrade Tomcat (to
7.0.65-7.0.67) we get the error below.  Removing the -security allows
Tomcat to start correctly.  Due to our IT security constraints, we need to
enable security manager.  Has anyone come across this issue before?  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.  Please let me know if I should provide
further details.

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader$PrivilegedFindResourceByName
        at
org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityClassLoad.loadLoaderPackage(SecurityClassLoad.java:106)
        at
org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityClassLoad.securityClassLoad(SecurityClassLoad.java:40)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:230)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:425)

Best Regards,
David

Re: Startup issue with security manager enabled on Tomcat 7.0.65 or later

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 23/12/2015 20:55, David Gietka - NOAA Federal wrote:
> Hello Chris,
> Thanks for your response.  There was nothing else in the log (see below),
> but with the latest version of tomcat 7 (7.0.67), I was able to start the
> downloaded version of tomcat with -security enabled.  I will review my
> deployment procedures to try and narrow down the problem further.  It may
> be one of my war files that is causing the issue.  I greatly appreciate
> your help.

Hint:
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader$PrivilegedFindResourceByName

has been renamed to:

org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase$PrivilegedFindResourceByName

I've checked the Tomcat code that preloads this class and it looks to be
using the correct (new) name.

Mark

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> Hello Chris,
> Thanks for your response.  There was nothing else in the log (see below),
> but with the latest version of tomcat 7 (7.0.67), I was able to start the
> downloaded version of tomcat with -security enabled.  I will review my
> deployment procedures to try and narrow down the problem further.  It may
> be one of my war files that is causing the issue.  I greatly appreciate
> your help.

It looks like your bin/bootstrap.jar file has not been updated and
still runs 7.0.64 code.

Re: Startup issue with security manager enabled on Tomcat 7.0.65 or later

Posted by David Gietka - NOAA Federal <da...@noaa.gov>.
Hello Chris,

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
David,